An Interview with Nikon Executives

bgelfand

<p>Here is a link to the DPReview interview with four senior Nikon executives:</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3890662077/cp-2014-nikon-interview-our-cameras-need-to-evolve</p>

<p>The last question should be of interest to Dx users; at least they did not say, "No".</p>

<p>The answer to the question about the Df was interesting, too. It seems to be making money for Nikon.</p>

<p>looks like nikon seems to think because their mirrorless camera (which doesn not have the same IQ as a DSLR) isn't moving units in america, there's no future for mirrorless anywhere (even though they are 40%-50% of the Asian market, according to the Fuji exec DPR interviewed). that's just wishful thinking. the comments are pretty hilarious, too.</p>

Interesting article. Also interesting all the different interpretations that people have come up with. I'm also one of those people who found it very amusing how the Df got panned all over the internet. If I had that type of money to play with, I'd have one in a heartbeat. I think I am also in the minority that believes that the D300s replacement is coming.

<blockquote>

<p>Also interesting all the different interpretations that people have come up with.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is pretty normal: most people simply look for comments to reinforce and validate what they already believe. At the same time they reject those comments that contradict what they believe. In other words, these articles rarely change any minds.</p>

<p>In reality, this particular interview doesn't really tell us a whole lot of useful information. Obviously I don't expect Nikon to reveal any information on future products and market positions, etc.; those are proprietry information.</p>

<p>For example, I find it hard to believe that Nikon is not losing a fair amount of lens sales to third-party manufacturers. Perhaps they don't really care about a small number of manual-focus lenses Zeiss manages to sell at sky-high prices, but clearly the likes of Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina are selling a fair number of Nikon F mount lenses, and each one of them means an opportunity lost by Nikon. In particular, lately Sigma has been making a number of excellent lenses; they have to be eating into Nikon's market, and Nikon is merely down-playing that situation.</p>

<p>Concerning the Df, Andrew has been telling us that there is a shortage in the UK. However, it has never been back ordered in the US from day 1. At least according to Amazon's sales ranking, the Df is quite low. If there is such serious shortage in Japan, I wonder why Nikon doesn't ship fewer of them to the US and keep them for sale within Japan instead.</p>

<p>Another clear contradiction is that there is plenty of discussion about the importance of video capture, and that is one feature that is conspicuously absent from the Df.</p>

<p>Highly doubtful Nikon execs would admit a mistake as that would impact the price of their stock. They did admit the obvious--DSLR sales are down and p&s sales have cratered. To have not said so would have people thinking they were in fantasy land. What we got was a bunch of fluff as the interviewer threw them softball after softball. I came away not knowing what Nikon's direction is, or if they even have one.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I suggest that you also read the interviews with Sigma and Fuji. In my view, I found the views from those two much forward thinking and candid, and they seem to better understand our needs. They also left me with the impression that they really know photography/cameras. By contrast, Nikon's comments focus way too much on marketing, and there is not much talk about innovation. I am particularly intrigued by the notion that they conducted marketing research to find out that the people in the US think "bigger is better." So what? So Nikon will continue to make their cameras and lens bigger and bigger? Who is responsible for this misconception? I would say Nikon itself plays a big role in this as they try to sell as many dSLRs as possible (and not making a good effort to market their own 1 system). The flip side is the ineffective marketing from other players. While I understand there is no great need for Nikon to change, given their marketing position, the lack of motion to do better is discouraging.</p>

<p>CC Chang, I am not all that impressed by the other interviews either. For example, they asked the Fuji senior manager whether the high-end market is important to Fuji; of course the answer is yes. And then they asked whether Fuji needs low-end customers. What exactly would you expect the answer to be? The Fuji guy certainly wouldn't say something like we only care about the top 51%. :-)</p>

<p>As Kent points out, there are a bunch of softball questions. You wouldn't expect questions such as:</p>

<ul>

<li>The Df ranks in the 80's to 90's in Amazon DSLR sales. Is it selling poorly in the US?</li>

<li>How come Nikon is practically giving brand new Nikon 1 J1 away in a firesale? http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cCTW</li>

<li>What percentage of D600 have the dust/oil issue and require multiple repairs? Was the D610 introduced mainly to solve the issue with the D600's reputation?</li>

</ul>

<p>Just don't expect much substance from those interviews. Those are PR events and nobody is going to say anything negative except for very general issues such as the global camera sales are down. They are also not going to reveal any company secrets, especially on future products.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon's comments focus way too much on marketing, and there is not much talk about innovation.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>yup. it's clear from the fuji interview that they've studied the nikon/canon model and hit them at their weak points. read with interest the quotes about building trust with customers. </p>

<blockquote>

<p> intrigued by the notion that they conducted marketing research to find out that the people in the US think.....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Question to the US photo.net members...Did any of you get asked anything?..or know of anyone who did?</p>

<p>Marketing maybe, but Market RESEARCH...not so sure.</p>

<p>I have received e-mail such as this one from Nikon USA.</p>

<p>IMO, they are requesting half an hour of people's time. That is a lot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p >Dear Shun,</p>

<p >We hope you have been enjoying your Nikon D7100!</p>

<p >Your comments and opinions are important to us. We would appreciate you taking a moment to complete this Owner's survey by clicking the button below.</p>

<p >The survey will be available for 5 days.</p>

<p >It may take 25-30 minutes to complete this survey. The results will help us improve and develop our future products. No personal identifiable information will be collected and Nikon never shares survey results or private data.</p>

</blockquote>