New to 35mm Film

<p>hello, I just have a quick question......so I have recently got into film photography and I have found out that development is costly. I just recently purchased an epson scanner and I wanted to know where is the best place to get my film just developed? I do not want to develop myself. </p>

<p>Depending on the type of film you are using (color, black & white, chromogenic)...your local drugstore, Costco, Walmart develop film, but all of them do not necessarily return the negatives. Mail order places like Duanes will, but are more expensive. If cost is an issue for you, you should learn to develop your own...especially black & white.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>OP, clearly stated he does not want to develop by himself, and since he needs the negatives or slide film back to scan them and perhaps archive, then all the places that do not return film are not an option.<br>

Also, "expensive" is relative.<br>

If you do not mind sending your film by mail anywhere and assuming you are based in the U.S. one other lab that comes highly recommended is NCPS.<br>

Do your research and find a place that has a relatively high volume. That way, you have better chances that they use fresh chemicals.</p>

<p>Walgreens drugstore for color neg film. Ask for processing only. Not "pro lab" quality but pretty good, fast(about 20min) and inexpensive. I also get a CD made for a few dollars more to preview the images and find the one(s) I want to scan on my good scanner. In and of themselves they are crummy scans but with some photoshop work even they can be suitable for web posting. Printmaking needs better scans however.</p>

<p>Don't order any WG's prints! Total crap and a waste of money.</p>

<p>Joshua,<br>

I've seen some people in other forums develop other photographer's film for a nominal fee. Labs charge much more , plus shipping/etc. If you are interesting, I can find out the link. These people do batch runs every so often based on number of films received. I kind of find myself in similar situation. I don't shoot enough film to use up all my chemicals efficiently and end up wasting a lot of C-41, E-6 and also B&W chemicals. I wouldn't mind helping out depending on your requirements and type of film, it would help me too. I only develop 35mm though. So if this sounds like something it could work for you. Send me a private message to <a href="mailto:lhalcong@yahoo.com">lhalcong@yahoo.com</a></p>

<p>Joshua, Louis Meluso has the best suggestion for a low cost approach.<br>

<br />In Canada, the same strategy can be used at Shopper's Drug Mart. Asking them to "develop only" is very cheap (like 3 bucks) and getting a CD with quicky scans is only a couple more bucks. The CD is useless as a finished product, but useful as a "contact sheet" to select which shots are worth scanning better.<br>

<br />If I don't want to scan myself, or its an important roll of film, I take it to a real lab (Downtown Camera in Toronto) and I get processing and a CD with 6-megapixel scans for about 11 bucks.</p>