larger images

Coho

<p>It appears the FAQ on posting has not been updated for years, i.e. : 800 X 600 pixel size suggestion and 1 K limit on file size.<br>

I have just started posting again and see others posting with "click here to see larger". While I have seen this discussed, I still don't know the new limits and the "How to do this (posting larger images)". Can you please explain? Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Depends on whether you're referring to posting photos to the discussion forums or to your photo.net portfolio. Each has different size limits.</p>

<p>I have a boilerplate reply to this but due to recent changes some of that info is out of date. Here's a quick version:</p>

<ul>

<li>You can attach photos to discussion forums two ways:<br />1. Direct upload to the forum.<br />2. Embed a photo hosted elsewhere - either your photo.net portfolio space or off-site host.</li>

<li>Photos uploaded directly to the forums must be no wider than 700 pixels. Anything wider will appear as an attachment with a link, rather than appearing inline with the discussion forum thread.</li>

<li>Photos uploaded directly to the forums must include a caption in the prompted space, otherwise the photo will appear as an attachment with a link, even if it's 700 pixels wide or less.</li>

<li>Photos embedded from your photo.net portfolio or off-site host can be any size. The forum software will automagically scale them down to fit the 700 pixel width limit. However, it's poor form to embed a maximum resolution JPEG straight from the camera or unresized, since it's still a huge file size and may bog down forum access for folks who don't have fast internet connections. So please resize your photos to 300KB or smaller before embedding them. The pixel dimensions aren't critical, since the current rescaling process retains image quality much better than it did a few years ago when rescaling produced ugly aliasing jaggies.</li>

<li>The No Words Forum has its own unique requirements for directly uploading photos. Offhand I don't recall whether the NW forum also has the 700 pixel width limit. You can also embed photos hosted on your photo.net portfolio or off-site host.</li>

</ul>

<p>Photo.net portfolio space size limits have recently changed. If I'm recalling correctly:</p>

<ul>

<li>The default smaller view is 680 pixels wide, maximum, regardless of whether the photo is horizontally or vertically oriented.</li>

<li>If you upload a larger photo it will appear by clicking on the smaller default view. This is why some members post critique requests saying "Please view larger".</li>

<li>The previous maximum size limit was 1500 pixels in any dimension. It may have recently changed, I'm not sure.</li>

<li>Uploading via the old single uploader would reject oversized photos. Again, this may have recently changed.</li>

<li>However, the single uploader would not resize your photo *if*<br />1. Your photo was no more than 680 pixels wide (assuming you uploaded only small JPEGs);<br />2. or, if your photo was no more than 1500 pixels in any dimension, the larger view would be preserved as you originally prepared it, but a smaller default version would be created as well.</li>

<li>Uploading via the batch uploader would automagically resize oversized photos to fit the 1500 pixel dimension limit. However, this sometimes imposed compression artifacts that reduce the quality of the JPEG, particularly in the smaller default view. The batch uploader also imprinted a copyright notice in the lower right corner. Again, this may have changed recently.</li>

<li>There is now an option to upload maximum resolution JPEGs, but this is connected to the recently introduced option to sell photos via a canvas print option. Check some threads on the site help forum from a month or so ago for more info.</li>

</ul>

<p>Sorry if any of this is out of date. It was current as of late 2013 or early 2014, but I haven't had time to test each method recently to see what's changed.</p>