How many images should I offer in a portrait session?

<p>Hi!</p>

<p>So I am a beginning newborn/child portrait photographer and have been shooting for a little over 2 years.<br>

This year I'm just starting to charge a little bit.</p>

<p>Anyways, In a session I usually only get about 10-20 great images, but in a recent session I only got 8 due to the 5 month old moving so much.<br>

<br />I provide my clients with a basic edit (blemish fixes,color enhancements, etc) of each image along with dramatic edits (Black and white, sepia, etc) to double up on the images that I captured to give them more of a variety.</p>

<p>My question is is 10-20 enough? And when I am in a situation where I get less than 10 what should I do? Should I even consider the dramatic enhancements to be a completely different image (should I add in them in the count). Should I charge less?<br>

I really need help with this! <3</p><div>00cDcZ-544019984.thumb.jpg.37ce49298f11789a28fa11c7c87d91a2.jpg</div>

<p>My minimum deal comes with 20 edited images on a cd, plus additional charge for each image over the agreed 20 images. I also try to sell customer prints/products from my website. If a customer wants a b/w or sepia version of the image, then I count that as one of the images. Changing from color to b/w or sepia does not usually take that long, but time is money and your trying to sell your product and make $$.<br />I also offer the option of just the session with no cd, for a fixed price and the customer can only buy prints or products from the website. They pretty much always choose the CD option. Too much competition in my area to try and offer the the ''order prints only'' option. <br>

<br />Cute baby photo:)</p>

It depends entirely how you market your photography. I shoot large and medium

format film, do between 20 to 35 portraits per year, printing 20x20in sized prints, and

offer one and only one image... the one I like the best. I know this is not the norm any

longer, but the new consumer-based portrait work is absurd. There is as much

absurdity in my post, as there is truth.

<p>With baby photography it can be hit or miss as far as getting multiple images so I would not put the sale on the number of images they will receive. I would sell a la carte either prints or files. You can then say you will give them a low res cd of all the images shot. You can charge a fee to shoot then charge per image or you can do the shoot for free but charge a much higher rate per image sold.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I think that the time going into the product now a days with post production in Photoshop is dwindling the profit margin there seems to be so many photographers out there And everyone is looking for a bargain I don't think lowering the prices is the way to go If your good at what you do then people should pay your price. In the end they are getting something timeless Quality should account for something</p>