Rating of images on PN

<blockquote>

<p>"PS If someone had given me a 3 for the blue cast but didn't critique the photo, what would have I learned?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Again, that isn't the purpose of the ratings. Ratings aren't critiques. Ratings are ratings. They're just single symbols to represent a viewer's summarized impression of the photo. Nothing more. Ratings aren't even a summary of a critique. Ratings are just ratings.</p>

<p>If members want critiques, ask for critiques. If they want to play the Top Rated Photos game or gain a bit more exposure via the discussion forum display (not visible on the mobile app), ask for ratings.</p>

<p>The problem isn't that too many people expect ratings to be a summary of a critique. The problem is that too many people who play the ratings game also expect the "critiques" to be nothing more than a verbal reiteration of the numerical ratings, with generic comments of praise. They don't want critiques. They want compliments. Those folks would rather see you literally write "7 all the way, my friend!", even if it's a lie, than to give them a rating of 6 and write "Nearly perfect, just fix that blue cast and it will be perfect."</p>

<p>You can't rate my photos only provide a critique. I've block ratings for the reasons you mentioned. I sometimes request to tell me the good and the bad you see in my photos so I can allay the concerns people have to not be honest and provide negative comments. But I want to hear the good stuff too. In the end, it's important to know what works and what doesn't.</p>