EOS 7D & Speedlite 320EX

rob_ruttan

<p>I have admitted it before elsewhere...I am terrible with manuals, constantly confusing terminology, forgetting what was on p. 37 as soon as I turn to 38, and so on. I am trying to use a Speedlite 320EX as an off camera slave -- I've got that down. But what I want to do is avoid having the on-camera flash fire, just the Speedlite. Is this even possible? I am beginning to think not!</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p>The pop-up flash of the 7D fires twice when controlling another flash as a slave: once to tell the slave to fire a pre-flash for metering purposes (so that is before the exposure) and once during the exposure to trigger the main flash delivered by the slave. The pop-up flash can be set to fire a (rather feeble) main flash as well, or it can be set to fire only the signalling flashes. The signalling flash during exposure is weak enough that it normally has no material impact on the image, but there are circumstances where it can be a nuisance, for example by creating specular reflections in a shiny object. If that is a problem, either use an ST-E2 as a trigger rather than the pop-up flash, or put a filter over the pop-up flash that cuts visible light but passes IR, since optical wireless flash requires only the IR part of the spectrum to work.</p>