Small Flash for Canon 6D

kosta_cherry

<p>I'm looking for a small flash for my new Canon 6D.<br>

I have bunch of 580EX flashes, love them, use them on both 6D and 5DM3, but I also use my 6D as a travel camera. So, when travel (walking, etc) I'd like to minimize size of the total system. I use all-in-one Tamron zoom, and now looking for some small flash to complement the setup.<br>

Ideally, I'd like something of the size of Speedlight 90EX with AF assist beam. Well, looks like 90EX doesn't have it (am I wrong here?) and can't tilt (as well as some other problems like no wake up from auto poweroff).<br>

My next option was Sunpak RD2000. Alas, no AF assist, and, more importantly, not compatible with 6D. Everybody mentions some magical firmware, but no one got it yet. Too bad as I just love how it looks.<br>

Another is Speedlight 270EX II. Annoying AF assist (via short visible flash series instead of normal IR beam). Can tilt, but bigger than 90EX or RD2000.</p>

<p>Are there any other options?<br>

I need smallest size that is compatible with 6D, can tilt, and has IR AF assist. Any third party company will do - I just need good small flash :)<br>

The main usage for it will be to add some fill-in flash - I don't need anything stronger.</p>

<p>If you gotta have near IR AF assist it ain't gonna happen with the current crop of wee Speedlites, e.g., 90EX or 270EX II. They sport disco strobe AF assist prone to frightening or angering subjects, especially if drinking. The smallest current model with near IR AF assist is the 430EX II which is pretty much a big honking' flash 'o joy but would broke yo' toe if dropped from a height of 3 feet or more.</p>

<p>I use a decidedly ancient 220EX I bought in the 1990s--older than dirt and most people on this forum--and it kicks an old skool red AF assist lamp. Be forewarned you must use a freakin' cord for bounce 'n twist, and AF assist only covers the center AF point (all 6D shooters use anywho) Pretty much burns rubber with 4 Eneloops in the trunk.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Have a look at Metz: the mecablitz 24 AF-1 digital is a small flash like the 270 EX-II. I'm not sure about the AF assist: it seems to be IR/red, but it may be a flash as well instead of a red LED. It's also limited to 35 mm focal length and longer.<br>

edit: Do you really need the AF assist light? I suppose it can be turned off by one of the camera settings. </p>

<p>I had the Sunpak RD2000 briefly because it similarly appealed to me for its compactness, upward tilt ability, and low cost. I was quite disappointed with its quality even as just a travel flash after only a couple outings. I sold it and replaced it with a refurbished 270EXii with which I've been very happy. Despite its slightly larger size, it's still pretty pocket-sized. And bear in mind it can also be used as an ETTL slave (not that strong but enough for a little extra background or rim light in a pinch) and as a remote shutter trigger, plus it comes with a bag and a stand - woo hoo!</p>

<p>Thanks everybody for the responses!<br />After giving a second (million) thought, I decided to ditch AF assist req. and go with 270 EX-II. Not as small as I'd like, so once Sunpak RD2000 will have proper firmware upgrade, I'll switch. Till then I would have to deal with Canon :(</p>