How to file a 1099 Misc

sarah_lange1

<p>Hi, <br>

I've used occasional assistants for the past few years since starting a photography business. But the level I've paid them has never exceeded the amount that requires me to send them a 1099 tax form. That's currently $600. But in 2013 I did pay one assistant more than $600 and so I need to send her a 1099. She was a summer assistant who helped me on location shoots, not a full-time or even part-time full fledged employee. I paid her per shoot. Here are my questions, which I am hoping you all can answer. <br>

-Is the 1099 Misc the correct form?<br>

-Do I need to send her one for the state (Massachusetts) and one for the feds? One just one?<br>

-Do I need to file copies of this (these) 1099s with my own taxes?<br>

-How might I get this (these) forms now. I went to IRS.gov hoping to download but it says the downloadable forms are only for informational purposes and can't be filed and there's a penalty for doing so. I can call and order but I need to get this to my assistant by Jan. 31 legally. <br>

Anything else I haven't thought of?<br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>This link may prove helpful:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-do-you-need-file-form-1099-misc.html">http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-do-you-need-file-form-1099-misc.html</a></p>

<p>Do you use TurboTax or other online tax filing software? Their website will have information, too.<br>

As for where to obtain 1099-MISC itself, the downloadable form you refer to has a link to a website, and also a phone number, from which you can order them. A local post office, federal building, or maybe even a library might have them. Or you can, I believe, buy commercially printed packages of them at office supply stores. </p>

<p>If this is the first time you're doing this, going to a professional tax accountant would be a good idea, this one time, at least. I did this some years ago, and was astounded at how much the accountant saved for me.</p>

<p>Being a small business has advantages, but you need to find out what and how to protect yourself, etc.</p>

<p>+1 to what JDM said.<br>

My accountant is very helpful and only last year raised my fee to $100.00 from $75.00. That is probably pretty reasonable compared to other folks, but my business is pretty small, plus I get all my income, expenses etc.. neatly prepared and added up for him, so he can easily do my taxes. Now if I just brought him a box of receipts and photocopies of checks for him to sort out then it would cost a bit more. Good to ask your business friends for the names of reasonable/knowledgeable accountants. I would also ask them how much money it would save if you prepared the records for them. <br />The accountant still has to figure out all the percentages, number crunching, grey areas and ways to save you money that leaves me like a deer in headlights when I try to comprehend what I am reading:D</p>

<p>I've used an accountant for years even for personal taxes and would not dream of doing business taxes myself. When you do your own taxes and you get a letter from the IRS, you're on your own. When an accountant does your taxes and you get a letter from the IRS, you call him and say fix the problem.</p>

Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, totally agree, I really need accountant despite the small size of my biz. For this 1099 question(s) I

just need some fast quick answers as it's due in 10 days, but no question I need to hire a pro.

So, crazy morning at the IRS office! Long story short, I got there at five to nine and 10 or so peeps already in line and most also just

needed 1099s and the forms rack had none, so we all get a number and get a seat and the first in line quickly returns from her talk with

the wizard of oz -- er I mean the one rep they had working there -- and reported there were no 1099s to be had. So half the room got up

and left. You can't download from IRS.gov either! Luckily someone mentioned you can buy at Staples. But I had to buy a pack of I think

24 or so! All I need is one. I could get on Quick Books but couldn't find where in that software so had to move on from that option.