Multiple D800 images/Uploading

jenkins

<p>If you had a wedding to shoot as I may have coming up, what sized files would you supply to the client using the D800?</p>

<p>Spoke to a Wedding photographer the other day and he was sending full sized images at 100% quality, that seems like serious overkill to me. Must take hours for the client to download say 500 images. Have you tried uploading these full sized files to your website? It's not funny!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For event files, I make 2-3 directories in which I put different size versions of the images. The smallest is 900x750, the next one is FullHD (1920x1080) and finally the largest ones may be original resolution or something smaller depending on what the user needs might be (e.g. it can be resized for a certain print size such as 12x18 cm with resolution of e.g. 360ppi). I give the smallest versions of the files in e-mail and all of them on a memory stick or similar media. I also supply small prints of a selection of the images.</p>

<p>I think 36MP versions might be useful for e.g. the formals, the group shots, etc. something that might eventually make it to a very large print but just viewing through a large number of such images may be a pain and also it makes it more difficult for the client to post them online. Which is why I think it's good to give several different sizes depending on projected use.</p>

<p>I know it comes down to end use, but for the bulk of wedding images I know 36mp images would just be way too much. If they were down sampled to 24mp and resized to the D610's native RAW size then that will fine wouldn't it?</p>

<p>Ilkka that seems a better idea, it's what i have done in the past, it's just supplying the complete wedding at 36mp's seems unnecessary to me, as you say a select few would be no problem.</p>

<p>C.P.M nobody is going to pay here, I have no problem setting up private galleries for people and sending links, if I did it as a business then I might do as you suggest, I think it would take a few disks too :)</p>

<p>Transferring hundreds of that sized file over the net isn't really a sensible proposition. DVD's are a bit short on storage too, and Blu-Ray may not be playable on your client's equipment.<br /> I'd suggest a USB stick or sticks as a transport medium. They're not that expensive, and you can usually get a big discount on multiple purchases. Prices change all the time, but locally I can get 3x 8gig sticks for around the equivalent of $18 US. That's a small outlay compared to the cost of a wedding shoot, and you can always bill the customer for the memory sticks as an additional service.</p>

<p>Edit: Simon, you mentioned downsizing to the D610 RAW file size. I don't think that's a good idea; how would your client read a RAW file? Plus I don't think that RAW files can be downsized anyway. Stick to JEGS for the final 'to client' files, after doing any manipulation needed of course.</p>

<p><strong>I don't think that's a good idea; how would your client read a RAW file?</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

As in the native size of the file for the D610, Rodeo not supplied as a Raw, unless they want to do their own editing now there's an idea? ;)<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>I'll check out the memory sticks, I don't really use them usually as I upload galleries to my site which I prefer to do for various reasons. Still looks like all the suggestions are for external delivery of images and not my usual method.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>36 down to 24 megapixels isn't much of a size saving really. It's only shaving 33% off the file-size on average. I'd think a more suitable size would be something like 12 Mp. That still allows a top quality A4 sized print to be made, and A3 prints from 12 Mp are usually more than acceptable.</p>

<p>If the client wants anything larger then they can order through you. I think you're actually being very generous to your client by considering 'giving away' original sized files.</p>