Canon T70 + Speedlite 244T riddle

bob_miller4

<p>A riddle maybe you can solve:<br>

<br />I recently bought a used Canon T70 camera body (from KEH in their excellent condition, looks pristine) and separately a Canon 244T Speedlite flash (from a private seller, this looks pristine, too). Yes, I know that the 277T was designed for the T70, but its fewer-featured buddy, the 244T, is also OK per the T70 manual.<br />So, after putting new batteries in each (AA type, Energizer Advanced Lithium), I first checked out the T70 and all functions looked OK. The 400 speed film loaded OK. Then I mounted the 244T flash and turned it on.<br>

<br />PART A (Good):<br />I used the Program mode with the FD type lens' aperture ring set to A. As expected, depressing the shutter release button partway displayed in the viewfinder the lightning bolt symbol for flash and the aperture the automation chose. Pushing the button further set off the shutter and flash normally, and the film advanced. Cool, so far!<br>

<br />PART B (Bad):<br />I then gave the flash time to recover (its indicator light went on) and I went to do the next shot. This time, the flash symbol did not appear in the viewfinder, only the blinking P that normally means the flash wasn't there or wasn't on. The shutter went off as if there was no flash, and the flash didn't go off.<br>

<br />PARTS C, etc.:<br />So I switched the flash off and back on as it remained mounted on the camera. Now the flash symbol returned to the viewfinder when it should have and the flash went off when it should have. Just as it did in Part A. But the next shot was like Part B. After more repetitions it became clear that only switching the flash off and on made it display right and work right. The same was true when I tried ordinary alkaline AA batteries in the flash.<br>

<br />SO---what's the explanation and the cure? (Note that all contacts were clean). Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If the flash hasn't been used for a while, the capacitor may have discharged fully and cannot store a full charge. Sometimes charging and discharging the flash repeatedly will restore the capacitor to its full capability. Even though the contacts may look clean, the surest way is to clean them with electronic contact cleaner. I personally used Caig DeoxIT. You can check with a local electronics supply store to see what products they carry. Make sure you clean the contact on the side of the flash shoe that provides a ground to the camera's hot shoe.</p>