Please suggest bodies, lenses and equipments for me.

nirvan_a

<p>I am presently using 5D MK III, 17-40, 70-200(2.8), 180(macro), 600(f4). I mostly shoot landscape, wildlife and birds. But I am having difficulty shooting bird in flight as 600mm is too heavy. I was thinking whether I should buy a 1DX and 400 (5.6). I can shoot BIF with it and other wildlife/birds with 600mm and used the 5D Mark III for landscapes. Please suggest.</p>

<p>Greatings...<br>

The 600mm is a wonderful lens for BIF. Are you hand holding? If so, a tripod with a Wimberly head is the solution. If it is just too heavy to get back and forth to prime areas then downsizing to a 400 5.6 might be a solution. I would suggest renting a 400 5.6 to see if you are happy with the images compared to the 600. ( I don't think I would be as I'd much rather shoot the 600.. I own a 400 5.6) Why the 1DX?<br>

Richard</p>

<p>What about one of the new series II telephotos? The 500mm II or 600mm II are a lot lighter, close to a 4 or 5lb difference from the older 600mm f/4 L IS. The 1DX plus a 1.4x III converter plus a 500mm f/4 II would be a lot lighter and more hand holdable.</p>

<p>Plus, your wallet would be lighter too. :) </p>

<p>"Practice, practice" is the way to get to Carnegie Hall and to BIF shots. It is taking me some time to learn how to use my own EF 100-400mm and gimbal tripod head for that purpose. I'm not quite there yet but progress is encouraging.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The EF 500mm f/4 IS II is easily hand held. It's 1.5-lbs lighter than the Series II 600 and has exceptional IS. I've shot the moon with a 2.0x TC-III attached at 1/40-sec. and got sharp detail. A tripod will kill your keeper rate. If you're not strong enough, work out a little to build the strength to handle the lens. I know three women that didn't think that they could hand hold the Series I 500/f4, yet they're now all shooting hand held.</p>

• 2 weeks later...