Zeiss Lenses for Pentax

hjoseph7

<p>Just curious, but does anybody have any experience using Zeiss lenses with their Pentax cameras ? Zeiss makes a few stellar compact lenses for the Pentax including the 25mm f2 and 35mm f2. They are manual focus lenses but the optics make up for it. </p>

<p>Harry,<br>

I was just checking out a Makro Planar 100mm for Canon EOS. The optical quality is remarkable and the build quality very high. I believe some of the Zeiss-branded SLR lenses are made by Cosina in Japan--the same folks who build the equally fine Voigtlander-branded lenses.</p>

<p>Both of these brands have not produced new K-mount lenses since 2010, so the market prices should reflect this scarcity. Unlike the EOS-models, which are usable as aperture preferred, the K-Mount Zeiss are totally manual. Finding an M42 version would allow AV on the Pentax.</p>

<p>To me, the key issue with manual lenses is one of reaching and then maintaining sharp focus. As I creep towards my 60th decade, I find it necessary to use LiveView--especially on APS-C-sized screens. Focus peaking is a real blessing here, and I wish my 5DMK3 had it. I absolutely enjoyed the Pentax implementation when I owned a K-3. It was probably my favorite part of the camera.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I don't think that Zeiss is selling their lenses in Pentax K mount at this point, and in any case light weight and compactness aren't their strong points. The Canon EF mount Zeiss 35 f/2 weighs about 20 ounces and is almost 4 inched long, easily twice the size and weight of my Pentax SMC-A 35 f/2. Is it better optically? I would expect so since it is a newer design and sells for a lot more money. But my Pentax 35 f/2 has made a lot of great images for me both on film and digital over the years, and it is still in great shape despite heavy use. </p>

<p>Zeiss no longer produces lenses for Pentax. You can find these only on the used market, or if you are lucky, unused old stock.</p>

<p>All Zeiss SLR lenses were produced by Cosina. The build quality is very similar to that of Voigtlander and is the best I tried so far. Puts old MF lenses to shame.</p>

<p>I have the Planar 85 and I reviewed it <a href="http://laurphoto.blogspot.com/2011/10/zeiss-planar-8514-zk.html">here</a>. An excellent lens, but I don't feel that good about its value, especially given all the other alternatives available.</p>

<p>I don't know how much the 35/2 goes for these days, but if it's close to the price of the FA 31, I'd rather put my money in that.</p>

<p>Just saw one go on ebay for $700 -35 mm f 2.0 May be good ,other way spend $200 on Horusbennu 35mm who know what your shoes cost on street photo too and what your artistic like can be . My preference is Kumao Kajiware (Takumar) even in the A zoom find a bit what other dont.</p>

<p>M. Elenko is wrong in regards to Zeiss ZK lens working on aperture priority. I can assure you that aperture priority works perfectly fine with the Zeiss K mount lenses. </p>

<p>I own:<br>

Zeiss Distagon 25mm F2.8 T* ZK<br>

Zeiss Makro-Planar 50mm F2.0 T* ZK<br>

Zeiss Planar 85mm F1.4 T* ZK<br>

I am really pleased with the results I get with these lenses.</p>

<p>The only Zeiss lens I have is the 85/1.4 T*Planar ZK.<br /> It is obviously a well built, rock solid lens .... and as heavy as a rock.<br /> I still have lots of difficulty to nail focus at F1.4 because of the focus shift.<br /> Live View yields better results albeit not quite "there" at F1.4. From F2.8 and down, it is utterly fantastic but why would you buy an expensive F1.4 lens anyway?<br /> I have tried it on the K20D, K7 and K5 with similar results.</p>

<p>I will likely end up selling it but I will test it again on the Fuji XE-2/adapter and with focus peaking .... then we shall see.</p>

<p>JP<br>

Edit: this lens works perfectly in Av, by the way.</p>

<p> </p>