D300 settings

david_simon

<p>I now have a second D300 body and want to be able to know which photos came out of which body when I am on my safari trip. Any suggestions how to set each body's settings so I know which is which?<br>

Also on the newest body when I take a picture the LCD display shows the picture in the top left quarter of the screen and in the rest of the screen is all the shooting data. How do I set it so it just shows the photo in the screen?</p>

<p>If you use Adobe Lightroom, you can set a filter to select images based on camera serial number, not merely the camera model name/number. I am sure some other tools besides Lightroom have similar features. That is the easiest way to distinguish multiple cameras of the same model.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also on the newest body when I take a picture the LCD display shows the picture in the top left quarter of the screen and in the rest of the screen is all the shooting data. How do I set it so it just shows the photo in the screen?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Go to the Playback Menu -> Display Mode, check the options you want. When you are done, scroll back to the top, which is "Done." Click OK and it will store your selection.</p>

<p>Afterwards, when you review an image, you can scross through the screen and data you have selected.</p>

<p>Check out p.206 of your user manual for playback options to show what is displayed when you check the image on your LCD screen, and p.255 on how to name your user banks, so assuming you give them different names for each body, you can ID which one took the shots.</p>

<p><strong>"Any suggestions how to set each body's settings so I know which is which?"</strong><br /> <br /> For simplicity you can go to "Shooting menu" then "File naming" and enter a unique name for each camera. Default usually begins with "DSC". The file names for each photo will then start with whatever name your entered for that camera followed by their sequential numbers.</p>

<p><br /><strong>"How do I set it so it just shows the photo in the screen?"</strong><br /> <br /> <strong><br /></strong>If I am understanding what you are asking correctly, all you have to do is press the up or down arrow on the multi-directional pad on the back of the camera. Doing so alternates between showing the image with shooting data in the LCD screen and just the image.</p>

<p>The file naming option only allows the replacemnt of the 'DSC' part of the filename, so maybe 'DSA' and 'DSB' might be suitable identifiers? You can also create and choose a new folder number - see p. 258 of manual, but wouldn't it just be easier to physically number or name your memory cards and keep track of which body was used that way?</p>

<p>And does it really matter that much which camera was used for which shot? If it's vital to know, the serial number can always be dug out of the EXIF data.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>'DSA' and 'DSB' might be suitable identifiers</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I use D3A and D3B to distinguish between my two D300 bodies; I had D2A, D2B, and D2C for my three D200 bodies. Not that it really matters - it's just a way to make sure that each image has a unique identifier. For that purpose, I use DownloaderPro to rename the images during transfer - I end up with a name like "2013-12-25-D3A91555-D300" which consists of the date the image was taken, the camera-identifier, the shutter count of that camera and just to add more redundancy the camera model is identified again (just in case I purchase a D3/D3S or D3X).</p>

<p>To replace the DSC part with D<em>x</em>C and D<em>y</em>C might be one of the most effective methods.This will always allow you to determine the body that was used, if that is so important.<br>

In addition to this if you synchronize your 2 bodies time-wise (i.e. with your Local Time), you may use just one directory on your computer HDD and sort the photos by time taken if you used the 2 bodies in one photo session.</p>

<p>In addition to the suggestions to use "File Naming" to create a unique naming convention for each Nikon camera you own (never DSCxxxxx for more than one body) you can use a program like Downloader Pro by Breeze Systems to add at the time of download a camera model to the file name or file folder or both by using the token {T} or {c} for the camera's serial number. Camera Name mapping is explained in the Downloader Pro manual in sec 4.5.</p>

<p>Joe Smith</p>

<p><strong>"And does it really matter that much which camera was used for which shot?"</strong></p>

<p>Creating unique file names can have some uses further down the road. If, during editing, you start seeing dust spots or other issues that point to a possible gear related problem/malfunction, it can help you more quickly narrow it down to a particular camera. You could quickly go back through your files to see if the issue is a new one or something you never caught in the past and determine when it started happening. I'd find it a little to easier to scan the file names rather than looking through EXIF data or trying to figure out which images are on each card (assuming they weren't deleted already). It's not absolutely critical of course and you can do it other ways, but it's just a small thing that can't hurt to do since it requires no effort on your part once you change the setting in the camera.</p>

<p>I have both changed the numbering of the files/pics to start with "A" / "B", <em>and</em> have put a slight difference in the "my Copyright Info"<br>

The first is importand to because otherwise i would get colliding numbering on my PC when storing ( filename alread exists.</p>

<p> The latter (copyright info) helps me also to distinguish results of processed pictures later on (so also when saved in other formats etc.) later on even if filenames for whatever reason were changed when saving on other places / devices</p>