GAS, anyone?

dirk_dom1

<p>Didn’t buy any photo gear for two months nine days seven hours three minutes ten seconds…</p>

<p>Didn’t buy any photo gear for two months nine days seven hours three minutes twenty seconds…</p>

<p>Didn’t buy any photo gear for two months nine days seven hours three minutes thirty seconds…</p>

<p>Didn’t buy any photo gear for two months nine days seven hours three minutes forty seconds…</p>

<p>Didn’t buy any photo gear for two months nine days seven hours three minutes fifty seconds…</p>

<p>Didn’t buy any photo gear for two months nine days seven hours FOUR MINUTES!!!</p>

<p>I’m doing GREAT!!!</p>

<p>Time for a quick look on Ebay!</p>

<p>Dirk.</p>

<p>I went for a new computer, so have given a sabbatical to buying old cameras or new ones.</p>

<p>Besides, it's just too darn cold here lately to be getting out much. I haven't even got out with my 'new' Franka Solida Record, but I will, I will..... :|</p>

<p>LOL! Stay off eBay like me, Dirk! Of course my new Sony NEX 6 should be here any day now, but after that...I swear!</p>

<p>Actually, I've been selling and giving stuff away more than ever. Nothing like moving from a large split level house in the country to a smaller apartment in the big city to make for a change in storage priorities. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a high-end thrift shop near me and the cameras are usually really nice. They had a terrific looking Minolta 110-size film zoom SLR. I decided not to buy it for $25. My conscience is still bothering me. It needs a good home.<br>

On the other hand, do I really need three Bilora Bellas? </p>

<p>I just think about the depreciation ... even lesses at 10-20% per product lifecycle then the new model kicks in 20% higher than the brand new price of the prev stuff. I think of the photo's some have taken in the film era and those who have shot (landscapes for me) with cheaper equipment. I use those as drivers to avoid buying. What is real .. With the equip I have now if I put them on flickr I don't get a lot of attention nor at the camera club so the fault is mine. There is a lady there in her retiree age and as an amateur she has sold a few and won a few category competitions ... with much lighter cheap stuff, ie Canon Rebels, 28mm, 50mm, kit lenses b/c physically she cannot carry the heavy stuff.</p>

<p>In the name of all that's holy - if you believe in that sort of thing - do NOT get into remote control aerial photography. Not only does it require all sorts of new gear that relates to defying gravity, it likely requires a different class of camera and lenses than you're already using. And gimbals. And video downlinks. And radios. And data links. And telemetry equipment. And 18 new kinds of dangerous batteries. <br /><br />Did I mention the spare parts that relate to gravity sometimes winning the argument?<br /><br />But really, it's all about getting a slightly different angle on that landscape shot! Really!</p>

<p>Matt, this sounds like small beer compared to your multimotor aerial photo gear, but I learned something from a local news photographer who borrowed a tall (12 foot) step ladder to change his viewpoint in shooting the front of our house. I now carry a smaller stepladder in the back of my pick-up truck and also with it shoot sometimes while it is mounted in the truck bed. Didn't have to go to the Bay for one either.</p>

<p>The Photo.Net ads can be tempting at times. I never fail to browse whenever connected to the site. Last purchase a month ago was a 28mm V-C viewfinder that I predict I will use only a handful of times each month. I got along without it of course before seeing it advertised.</p>

<p>Will it allow improved photographic results. Probably not. But the stepladder does and will.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>do NOT get into remote control aerial photography</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Duly noted, Matt. I flirted with the idea for a time, and tried to rationalize it but came up short. I think I liked the <em>idea</em> of high view point photography more than the fuss, and expense, of the process.</p>

<p>I have had several obsessions in my life. Photography is simply the latest. I currently own around 20 wristwatches, mechanical and quartz, 15 vintage and modern double-edged razors, 6 straight razors, many knives, I have a truly lovely collection of briar pipes which I enjoy smoking immensely and about a year's supply of tobacco about 3ft from where I am typing. I have owned many guitars, including a 1959 Gibson which I never could play without feeling inadequate. When I get into something, I tend to go the whole hog. There are obviously many many lovely things out there to help one obsess about taking photographs, but in this I suppose, there is an advantage in that there is an objectively scientific aspect which cannot be argued with. So, for example, I yearned for a Nikon D300S for about 18 months, but I knew there would be little overall improvement from my D5100- some aspects were better, some worse, overall, there was no point spending so much money on an old body. The only thing I have bought on a whim, was my Canon M(1), which I bought purely for the 35mm equiv lens. I went out looking for an Olly 35/1.8 but there was none in my city so the way I look at it, I got a wonderful lens for around the same price of the lens I wanted to buy, with a free camera thrown in!<br>

It is very easy to get caught up, but so far I have resisted. This site has been a large part of that, if I'm honest.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Duly noted, Matt. I flirted with the idea for a time, and tried to rationalize it but came up short. I think I liked the <em>idea</em> of high view point photography more than the fuss, and expense, of the process.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just to be perfectly clear: I don't regret for a second getting into RCAP. An existing customer will no longer let me shoot the stuff we usually shoot without including some overhead shots that - until a few months ago - we'd never otherwise have been able to include. Now it's just part of the process. So I feel obliged to caution people about the complexity and expense, but I can't emphasize enough how fun, challenging, eye-opening, creativity-sparking, and just generally cool the whole thing is. Doing it for real with a decent-format camera is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it's very gratifying, in terms of results and options.</p>