ring light compatibility on Canon 100mm/2.8 NON USM

rjkdds

<p>I have an old Canon 10d with 100/2.8 macro lens (NON USM, old type dc motor).<br>

Note this lens is NOT internal focus as the outer element extends out of the barrel on focusing.</p>

<p>What ring flash is compatible with this lens? Would be happy with 3rd party lens or Canon.</p>

<p>Bob</p>

Looking at the details http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/macro/ef_100_28macro.html the old

100mm looks like it has the mount lip for the ring and twin flash, if not the adaptor rings are inexpensive.

The macro flashes cables easily cope with the extension of the MP-E so they should ok with the 100mm.

The 100 should mount ok on the 10D, the 10D looks like it supports ETTL and not ETTL II http://www.canon.com/camera-

museum/camera/dslr/data/1995-2004/2003_eos-10d.html?lang=us&categ=crn&page=1995-2004&p=2 but the flashes do

TTL, ETTL and ETTL II.

<p>Thank you for all the responses. I should clarify however.<br>

I know the lens itself is compatible with my 10d, I just didn't know if the front barrel extension on focusing would create a problem with a ring flash cord.<br>

My motivation is to repurpose this old body now collecting dust in the closet, for use in my<br>

dental office for documenting intraoral cases.<br>

I do have an old Vivitar ring light that was used on a Nikon N2000 film body, but I'm not<br>

sure if that flash is compatible on Canon ETTL. Do you think this flash would work on my 10d? I dont want to burn it out if the electronics aren't compatible.<br>

What older Canon ring flashes would work prior to the MR14?</p>

<p>Bob K, you are in danger of refusing to take "yes" for an answer. The MR-14EX has a coiled cord linking the power unit and the ring, and this will easily stretch to allow the use of the original EF 100/2.8 macro at full extension. The MR-14EX is the only ETTL Canon ring flash, and earlier models will not work on any digital body. Likewise, your Vivitar-for-Nikon flash will not work on a Canon body except possible in full power only.</p>