Who Knows the Quinon?

<p>Good summary <strong>Michael</strong>, probably most like a Voigtlander Vito with a crummy viewfinder and about 13 interchangeable lenses. "Grain"? If quinine is the question, the Spanish discovered the stuff in South America, a substance derived from the bark of a Peruvian tree. It became particularly popular in Colonial India as a treatment for malaria and is still used as such today; since it has a very bitter flavour the Brits mixed it with slightly sweetened effervescent water and the mix we know as "Tonic Water" was born. They discovered that it was improved even more by the addition of a generous slug of gin, and the combination has come down the years as the popular Gin and Tonic, known fondly as "G&T" in my part of the world.</p>

<p>Rick, quinine has been used to treat muscle cramping. It also has some side effects so watch out how many G&T's are consumed. Very much liked the color pictures. The consensus seems to show that the pencils don't need sharpening (:o) .</p>

<p>http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/quinine-oral-route/side-effects/DRG-20065753</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Darn it! When I opened this page, my eye jumped past the text and straight to the first picture, with the camera showing pitting of the metal and lost paint in the "BRAUN Paxette" badge. I thought "Aha! Finally Rick has got a camera that <em>doesn't</em> look like it just rolled off the assembly line!" Then when I read the copy above it, <em>of course</em> it turns out to be a camera not of your choosing but rather handed to you. Apparently your near-perfect record of choosing pristine kit is ... still pristine.</p>

<p>Anyway nice pictures as always. These look perhaps <em>slightly</em> less sharp than some you've posted from other cameras/lenses, but I'm sure much better than the Cassars &c. can do, and a pleasant surprise as compared to the expectations, evidently. (BTW, like a Quinon lens should cure malaria, I suspect a Cassar lens should arrive broken, based on my rusty French. Right up there with Lentar among daft lens monikers, for those having even a passing familiarity with Romance languages.)</p>

<p><em>--Dave</em></p>