New Town @ Sydney

<p >Glad to see you posting again Subbarayan. The Praktica Nova 1b is an excellent choice for travel as it's only 560g on my scales compared to the 690g of my PrakticaMat. I picked up a Nova 1b locally a few months ago with a Domiplan, diaphragm still working. The Nova 1b shares that marvelously quiet vibration-free shutter of the Prakticamat and the clever mirror-stop fashioned from a strip of shutter curtain material. It's good that so many dismiss these cameras...</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I always find things to interest me in Sydney. It's an exiting city with a variety of cultures, plus the population density gives it a sense of velocity. Just lately I have been reading some interesting material about Sydney's development. Apparently when Sydney was about the same size as my hometown Auckland is today - i.e. just over 1 million people (back in 1910 or so) painful decisions had to be made to create room for the modern urban rail links that characterise the place now, and expensive loans had to be taken out to pay for it all.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Auckland council is still fighting itself over the development of inner-city rail, with the pro-road/car/suburb faction engaged in endless stalling tactics to delay construction of even a basic inner-city rail loop. There is an interesting paper backgrounding the fight:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >"The American Heresy: Half a century of transport planning in Auckland"</p>

<p > </p>

<p >(Paul Mees and Jago Dodson, Urban Planning Program, Faculty of Architecture, Building & Planning, University of Melbourne)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Somewhat ironic that despite taking the medicine of the American automobile suburb for 60 years, we still end up desperately needing electrified rail and integrated public transport to go beyond our current density. Perhaps we will end up becoming the "Stockholm of the South Pacific" that the British planners of the 1940's envisaged after all.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks again for the interesting pictures. You capture Sydney well.</p>