x-e 1 coming

<p>so i bit the bullet on a fuji x-e 1 w/ 18-55 after reading the reviews on that lens and seeing a great price on amazon. my question is to current x-e 1 users, what should i know about that camera? any tips? workarounds? will probably use for travel, casual, and some PJ stuff when my FF DSLR rig is too much.</p>

Upgrade the camera and lens to the latest firmware. Get a fast memory card (at least the 45mb/s) and a couple of extra

batteries (Wasabi brand is good.) Set the AF and IS both to the non-continuous modes to save battery. Learn the uses of

the different film color modes and set up some presets for looks you like. Then just go shoot and enjoy it, it's a fun camera

to use.

<p>I've just moved over from the D300, so can say the following:<br>

Use fast cards. She writes slow. Use latest firmware. Makes a big difference. You may want an add on grip, but try first. Battery life is not great, but not terrible. However the meter display needs work. Goes from full to empty very quickly.<br>

Don't be afraid to push ISO. 3200 looks better than what I got at 800 on my D300. Play with the jpeg settings. The quality from camera is stunning in my experience. </p>

<p>Take time and play. It's a different experience, but I'm not regretting changing.</p>

<p>Eric I didn't see one from them, but been eyeing a generic Chinese version on ebay that has an open frame so you can change battery and card, and works with various plates like Arca-swiss etc. I've seen a few shooters using it. And it's cheaper than Fuji's grip.<br>

I'll try find the listing when at home again. But try without first and see. If you are used to older film bodies it's not a big issue.</p>

<p>just did some research, looks like the <a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Quick-Release-Plate-Camera-Handle-Fujifilm-Fuji-X-E1-Tripod-Ball-Head-/261218762229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd1d9fdf5">iShoot grip</a> has the same functionality as the RRS grip at 1/3rd the price... i'm going to wait a bit and make sure i like the camera before i start customizing it.</p>

<p>well, the x-e1 is here. first impression is, it looks very solid; the lens is reassuringly mostly metal. also very tiny, although not small enough to put in a pants or shirt pocket. i got a hotshoe-mounted thumb rest which gives a nice grip. it's been super cold in california, so i haven't wanted to go out shooting, but i will put it through its paces soon. the menu system and UI seemed very intuitive.</p>

<p>Hi Eric. I love my X-E1 so it's not easy to give an unbiased view! I shot my first wedding a few weeks back. Fortunately my friend Rob (pro with 30+ years experience) marshalled the 3 of us and I was the "candids guy" for the day. Miss N's Wedding All pics bar the 2 x bride + bridesmaids and bride sitting on grass were taken with the X-E1 with 35 f1.4. It was so much easier to grab these candids with the lightweight Fuji. It's just a better "fit" in this type of situation than my brick-like D7000. And gave me some of the Leica-like experience without the manual focus (ouch) and the exorbitant cost. The downside? Have you seen those primes? 35 (yum) 14, 23 and next year the 56 f1.2 - ok, so there WILL be some cost but still this side of divorce ;-) And yes, that thumb rest is great. It could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship for you and ? Have you given her a name yet? Mine is Eva Green, so you can't pick that one! ;-p</p>

<p>lovely shots, mark. the colors and skin tones are amazing! yes i forsee a 35/1.4 and possibly a 56/1.2 in my future. the only real issue is the non-selectable shutter speed minimum in auto-ISO and P mode, hopefully a future firmware update can fix that. getting the x-e1 + 18-55 for $900 is a real deal considering the 18-55 costs $700 alone.</p>

<p>Had the X-E1 and got rid of it. Excellent images. Beautiful and clean.<br>

Replaced it with an X-Pro1.<br>

Reason?<br>

The X-E1 was too small for my hands and was very uncomfortable in use. The X-Pro1 solved that nicely.<br>

If the X-E1 fits you it is a very nice camera that will produce fine images. </p>