Best 50mm lens.

robert_paulson1

<p>I have a Leica Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 with a Leica R3 safari outfit I've pieced together. The 50 came with the body. I'm not sure how this lens compares optically to the 50mm Summicron f/2 besides the wider aperture. I've read that the Summicron is top-notch. Anyway, I absolutely love this lens. The bokeh is incredibly smooth and pleasing. I haven't personally used a better lens.<br>

I also quite like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AIS, which are pretty easy to come by.<br>

<br />Back to the Leica, I wonder if anyone can shed any brief light on the Summilux vs. Summicron 50, besides price, weight, and speed? Are they pretty much the same optically when at the same f-stop? I may have actually gotten a fantastic deal on this because it came mounted on my R3 body when I bought it, and I got it at Summicron price, in like-new condition. Ebay searches show the Summilux goes for 2-3 times the price of the Summicron, a huge leap.</p>

<p>Greg, there are many different versions of the Summicron and Summilux 50mm lenses, including the most recent aspherical and apochromatic designs. There are also some differences between R and M mount versions. If you can download the older (free) and Internet version of Edwin Puts' Leica lens book (compendium?) you will see how he regards the different versions, from the 1950s until the present century. 20 or 30 year old Summicrons and Summiluxes are probably pretty close in performance at similar apertures, perhaps with the Summicron being a bit more even across the frame (It costs a lot less to perfect an f2 lens than an f1.4 one). They are both relatively costly optics and capable of very fine results. The f1.4 M mount lens was improved with the recent aspherical version, but it may be there was more room for improvement of the 50mm non aspherical M mount lens compared to that made for the R mount.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
<p>Another vote for Summicron R, 50mm. Mine is a "3 Cam" version. It has a fairly close focus too, 20". I have the 50mm Nikkor in 1.4 N/Ai, also the F2 Ai, and F1.2 AIS, all great lenses but they don't come close to the optical performance of the Summicron</p><div>00cgiv-549554484.jpg.0ff7eeda6b4ee1f7ddda77a690668f70.jpg</div>