Contax 167 MT to Nikon mount

fotolopithecus

<p>Years ago I had a Contax 167 MT, and a very nice Zeiss lens on it. These days after the regrettable demise of Contax I'm a Nikon man, but I still have the Zeiss in the drawer. Are there adapters to take a lens intended for the Contax 167 MT to a Nikon, and if so where be they? ;)</p>

<p> P.S. Also was there a particular name for the Contax mount beyond what I can remember, it's been quite a few years since I've thought about this. Thanks</p>

<p>The Contax mount is often referred to as the C/Y mount (Contax/Yashica). The flange distance for Nikons is 46.5mm while the flange distance for Contax is 45.5mm, which means that even if you were able to mount the lens directly onto a Nikon mount, it wouldn't be able to focus anywhere near infinity. Somebody may manufacture an adapter mount with a lens in it, but it would definitely degrade the image. However, not all is lost if you have deep pockets and/or some lens disassembly skill. Leitax supplies an adapter to mount Contax lenses directly onto Nikon bodies, but you need to do some disassembly of the lens and replace the Contax lens mount with the supplied one for Nikon bodies. Here's a link with details and instructions: http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html . I have no connection with Leitax.</p>

I realize this is NOT what you're asking, but the current line of mirrorless APS and Micro 4/3 cameras ALL have easy

adaptation of virtually any lenses including yours and they work great. I have a Nex-7 which has a very good adapter for

Contax Yashica as I also have an RTS III and an Aria and a group of lenses. Using them on the Nikon DSLR might not

work, but using them on a Nex or even a Nikon mirrorless might be an option.

<p>The flange distance makes Nikons very unsuitable for legacy lens use, add Canon and four thirds to the mirrowless and m34, to the list of formats that easily accommodates many sorts of third party lenses.</p>

<p>The Contax Ziess top of the range primes were stunningly good, I used to use both C/Y Zeiss and Lieca R on my Olympus E-3 with great results.</p>

<p>If your 167MT is working well just put a film it and scan the results</p>