Camera Setting Checklist

jordan2240

<p>I remembered to change my time on my d7000 last night when I got home, because of reading this thread. Thanks for the reminder!</p>

<p>Bill - I just picked up on the "RAW is scary" comment. As a fellow beginner, let me assure you that I felt the same way until about a month ago. I thought because I am a beginner, I had no business shooting in RAW. I've since found out this is not the case. If you have the software to work with it - and if your camera records RAW + JPEG, please do yourself a favor and set it there (for right now). Just TRY it. You will be amazed at how easy it is to make simple changes that make a big difference. I've progressed so much with shooting RAW and working with the software, that I may set my camera to taking RAW files only. If you are not sure what to do, there are some tutorials here and online, plus there's the Digital Darkroom forum where people would be glad to help you.</p>

<p>Try it; trust me.</p>

<p>Wouter and Renee, you've convinced me - raw it is (or perhaps raw + jpeg as Renee suggests)! Thanks for picking up on that comment.<br>

One question though (hopefully you are still checking this), if I'm shooting 'snapshots' at a party or something, where I might take say 50 shots or so, should I shoot in jpeg, or is the processing to get them out of raw no big deal? </p>

<p>I'm pretty on top of most of my camera settings. However there are a couple things that I do. Like previously mentioned, have a 'rest position' and get in to the habit of returning the camera to that state. Custom settings banks are great for this but there are couple things that aren't affected (on my D7100), by changing the U1/U2 settings. There is an option to save camera settings, in addition to custom settings, that includes less dynamic settings which you can quickly return to with a two button reset, and from that point adjust from there.</p>

<p>I hardly ever change metering mode, but it depends on your camera, my D7100 is fairly adept at adapting its meter to most situations, particularly if I use the dynamic AF modes - it will bias its meter based on on whats under the AF point I've selected. I think the message here is learning to really understand what your camera can do for you, how well it can do that, and understanding what you need to change. Definitely use a checklist if you need to though! </p>

<p>The other habit that is helpful for me is using the info screen, which displays most of the information you are considering in your checklist.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>that's exactly my intent in developing this checklist - to always have the camera at the same starting point, which would typically be the settings I use as my defaults, understanding that they will be changed as needed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I’d suggest that you begin simple. That is to say make some specific choices to be “SET & FORGET” and have only a few choices that you need to make to suit each shooting scenario. And learn by doing, reviewing and replanning rather than trying to get it all correct from beginning.</p>

<p>The idea to have a fully accountable check list is admirable; but I think it is impractical and will be an hindrance to learning and broadening your skills’ base quickly and efficiently. </p>

<p>As <strong>an example</strong> I’d choose and ‘set and forget’ – raw + JPEG; colour space; centre focus point; one shot; and all the other stuff. . . etc and just (firstly) concentrate your “checklist” on these four key elements and in this order and for these reasons mentioned:</p>

<p><strong>ISO –</strong><br>

Rationale: What is the ISO that I require to ensure I have enough Shutter Speed to arrest Camera Shake and Subject Movement within the Aperture ranges that I have/want to use?</p>

<p><strong>Camera Mode / Automatic Mode or Manual Mode–</strong><br>

Rationale: Do I want the camera to make the exposure choices for me and if so why do I want that and what do I want its light meter to control – the Aperture the Shutter Speed or Both?</p>

<p><strong>Metering Mode –</strong><br>

Rational: What is the best Metering mode for these lighting conditions?<br>

Caution: If I am using an Automatic Camera Mode (e.g. Shutter Priority; Aperture Priority or Program) will the metering mode be open to an error (for example if the scene is a backlit scene <br>

<br>

<strong>Autofocus Point and Auto Focus Mode –</strong><br>

Rationale: What will be the easiest and QUICKEST solution to get the bit that I want in focus – IN FOCUS?</p>

<p>***</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My advice is that the more <strong>PRACTICE and REVIEW</strong> that you do the quicker that camera becomes an extension of your hand and your BRAIN.<br>

I think that you are over-thinking this a bit. That’s admirable: but I think it better that you get out and make a few mistakes and your checklist will just unfold very easily for you; I doubt that you will ever need to write it down.<br>

By keeping your checklist very short at the outset, then your checklist will grow by YOUR EXPERIENCE and it will become a checklist which will be automatic to you.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>Daniel - yes, I need to start paying more attention to the info screen and what it actually tells me. Could be all I really need.</p>

<p>William - thanks for the additional thoughts. The four settings you mention are definitely the ones most likely to sting me from time to time.</p>

<p>Renee - I use Photoshop Elements for processing, but the camera came with software that I believe I can process raw with. I need to play with it more. I admittedly don't know a whole lot about Elements other than the basic editing that most do initially.</p>

<p>I would say you got some excellent advice in this thread, Bill (actually, you & me both!). William W's post is all the checklist you need, I think. Just like driving the stick shift - it's going to become second-nature to us as we practice.</p>

<p>As for raw - I know you didn't ask about this specifically, so I hope you don't mind the extra suggestion since we threw RAW into your thread :) I have Photoshop too, just a different version. I was able to take a continuing education class on it at my local community college and I've found it extremely helpful. I've also found a book that included a DVD of corresponding tutorials. There are books out there for Elements as well, if something like that would interest you. There may be online tutorials as well, and I'm sure there are ones out there for whatever software came with your camera.</p>

<p>Renee, all advice is welcome, so I'm glad some of the conversation diverged to other things. Was looking over my camera and manual earlier this evening, and getting more comfortable with the multitude of functions.</p>

<p>Thanks to all who responded. Feel free to keep the advice coming.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Interesting addendum to this post. I made my checklist, consisting of:</p>

<ul>

<li>ISO</li>

<li>Shooting Mode (Av, Tv, etc)</li>

<li>Metering Mode</li>

<li>Exposure Compensation</li>

<li>Focus Setting (M, C, AF-S)</li>

<li>Focus Point (Multi, Center, Select)</li>

<li>Lens Focus Setting</li>

<li>File Format (Raw, JPEG, Raw+)</li>

<li>Battery Life</li>

<li>Shots Remaining</li>

</ul>

<p>Went out this morning, and went over it in my head but not on paper. Low and behold, when I got back to look at the shots, all were slightly over-exposed because I'd left my Exposure Comp at +.3 from the previous day's shooting. I was only experimenting anyway, so it really didn't matter, but I'll be reading over this checklist at start-up from now on, until it becomes 2nd nature.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> "all were slightly over-exposed because I'd left my Exposure Comp at +.3 from the previous day's shooting"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So which was the primary error that needs to be addressed, such that it becomes an habit?</p>

<p>A) you didn't return the camera to its "Rest Position" at the end of the previous shoot?<br>

B) your check-list prior to a shoot is inadequate.</p>

<p>WW</p>