Filter ring of Nikkor 18-200 DX VR has come off

ganz_schrott

<p>The filter ring of my Nikkor 18-200 VR DX has come off and I do not seem to see an obvious way to fix it, short of sending it off to a repair shop (it is out of warranty now). <br>

I can see the tail end of some small screws on the underside of the ring, but no obvious way to access the screw heads.<br>

Being unwilling to spring for a hefty repair bill, I was wondering whether I should try using 'Superglue' to fix the filter ring back on to the exposed rim of the lens.<br>

Do you have any better ideas?</p>

<p>Ganz, I'd advise against Superglue. Nasty stuff that's difficult to control where it's going. It also outgasses a vapour while setting that leaves a white coating on any nearby surface - like the front glass of a lens, for instance.<br>

Use a two-part epoxy resin, but make sure you tape off or otherwise securely cover any surface that you don't want glue on. At least epoxy gives you some time to wipe away any excess and adjust the position of the parts, but don't expect that filter ring to ever be removable again.</p>

<p>Drop me a message if you want the first few pages of the repair manual....or the whole thing ( its pretty big file ) The screw heads seem to be covered by a thin ring on the front.<br>

Page 4 is 1st useful page of content ( after waring on previous page not to touch VR unless you have full service facility) content on page 5 is too far ! Parts list document also, is interesting for perspective.</p>

• 1 year later...