Choosing Really Right Stuff panorama solutions for shallow DOF panorama portraits

joel_b.1

<p>Hello, I am an aspiring portrait photographer. I'm interested in experimenting with some multirow shallow DOF portraiture panoramas in the manner popularized by Ryan Brenizer. For this I would use a D800 w/ 85mm or 70-200mm 2.8 or maybe someday a 200mm prime.</p>

<p>I know Brenizer does these freehand without a tripod, but he's a wedding photographer in a hurry. I like to work more deliberately, and I also want minimal trouble stitching the frames together in pp, so I am thinking I'd like to try a tripod attachment that will allow me to take consistently accurate (i.e., parallax-free) 12-36 frame multirow panos of portraiture subjects.</p>

<p>Researching the world of pano gear has me a bit bewildered. I am focussing on Really Right Stuff equipment as a way of narrowing the field. Can anyone tell me the functional differences between the RRS Ultimate Pro Omni Pivot Package and the PG02 Pro Omni Pivot Package? Further, must I use a leveling base? If so, do I use it instead of the ballhead or on top of it?</p>

<p>I have spent a good deal of time reading discussion boards and the RRS FAQs but I keep coming up with different answers. So I thought perhaps I'd ask you for your advice regarding my specific needs.</p>

<p>What I'd like, to reiterate, is an apparatus atop my tripod which would allow me to shoot 12-36 frame multirow panoramas of portrait subjects, quickly, while maintaining a constant entrance pupil distance so as to eliminate parallax errors during stitching.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for your kind attention; I am grateful for any counsel you can offer.</p>

The gigs pan gear isn't suited for what Joel B wants to do.

Joel B.: I have both of those RRS pano packages. The big differences are the PG-O2 Va and The CB-10 camera bar.

The PG-02VA has three advantages over the PCL-1+ CRD combination: it's easier to set and lock the rotator angle; it's

taller than the CRD; and most importantly the PG-02VA rotator is stronger than the PCL-1 which, according to the people

I've communicated with at RRS, wasn't really designed to work as a vertical rotator.

The CB-10 is simply a longer and heavier duty hunk of metal than the MPR-1. For what you want to do this probably will

not make any difference. But if you start using larger bodied cameras like a D4 it will. You can also connect multiple

camera bars together to make a jib for your camera or a slider if you ever get into video work. I regularly use both a CB-

10 and CB-18 combination.

What I really like about RRS gear is the modularity and the way everything fits together.

Full disclosure: I just found out that RRS will feature a photo of mine in an an upcoming blog. I'd like to say they are

paying for it with either gear or a discount but that's not the case. dissent them a letter telling them how I used RRS gear

in a non standard method.

Typo/auto spell corrections!

Full disclosure: I just found out that RRS will feature a photo of mine in an an upcoming blog. I'd like to say they are

paying for it with either gear or a discount but that's not the case. I sent them a letter telling them how I used RRS gear in

a non standard method and they asked if I'd like to be featured.