photo slave that works with 600EX-rt?

john_e2

<p>Does anyone know what photo slave will work to trigger the Canon 600EX-Rt speedlite?<br>

I've tried different slaves like the peanut slave and nothing seems to work to trigger it, even when the triggering flash is aimed directly at the slave. I called Canon and they couldn't help me, just tried to sell me their canon trigger for a few hundred dollars. I've tried a slave that fits on the hot shoe mount and one that plugs into the pc outlet. I tested the slaves on other flashes and they are working.</p>

<p>I replaced my old 580’s and ST-E2 in May.<br>

The 600 EX RT manual is very comprehensive. It does go into detail on master/slave/ST-E3 RT use.</p>

<p>Briefly if you are in radio mode, at the moment you are limited to using a 600 as a master on camera/ as a slave controlled by a master 600 or using the ST-E3 to control your 600’s. The ST-E3 only does radio.<br>

If you are using the 600 in optical transmission mode, you can use it to trigger 580’s, other 600’s et al or to be a slave with a non-radio flash system.<br>

I don’t know of any third party kit that does what the 600 and ST-E3 do very, very well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One of <a href="http://www.jackthehat.co.uk/flash-slave-trigger-unit-canon-p-702.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">these</a>?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sounds like a winner!</p>

<p>However, you might be able to modify a slave you already have. I bought several Sonia slaves that would trigger any flash of mine except my 550EX. (Actually they were good for one flash and then would trigger no more.) I resolved this issue by opening up the hotshoe base of the Sonia unit (into which the slave sensor would plug) and bypassing the internal diodes with short lengths of wire. You gain access by peeling the round "Sonia" sticker. You have to wrap a heavy (e.g. 12 ga) copper wire around the soldering iron tip to extend into the cavity. It's a delicate operation, but anyone skilled with soldering can do it. Don't heat too long, or you'll melt the connectors.</p>

<p>That's good info Sarah. The Canon flashguns seem to be choosy about which slave units they function with. I had a 480EX that worked OK but my 580EXII is choosy. I have also heard similar reports about the Nikon SB400. The slave unit I linked to above works with all my Canon flashguns so is obviously designed for the purpose. </p>

<p>Thanks. I contacted Canon and was told by the tech. they didn't know about optical slaves. they tried to sell me the st-e3 controller for $300. I told them I only wanted to use it in manual mode as an accent flash and shouldn't have to spend $300 on a controller after spending almost $600 for the flash. I then asked how I'd fire my studio lights if bought their $300 controller to fire the 600 ex-rt since the controller would be occupying my hot shoe and wouldn't trigger my studio strobes. My stobes may not be triggered by the 600ex rt flash. He couldn't tell me. so I asked about the pocket wizard and all they could say was that it "should' be compatible. The tech went to speak to another tech and came back and said the unit "should" work with an optical slave like the peanut ,but that they only really knew about canon products and canon didn't make an optical slave. I got tired of messing with it and used my $85 Vivitar that's more than 10 years old with a generic hot shoe slave I got on ebay for a couple bucks and is falling apart. it fired every time. this is really sad. I bought the best speedlite canon makes and I had to use my vivitar instead because of a simple slave issue.</p>