New website.. would like feedback

james_southwell1

<p>I have just created my first website to display my photography. I have been a serious amateur for about 7 years and have been collecting mainly landscape and wildlife photograpghy over the years. I have wanted to display it for some time but have not been able to do so due mainly to time constraints. I would truly appreciate honest feedback on portfolio, quality, marketability etc. I would like to sell some work or at least work toward that end. Please visit my website and I appreciate your feedback. Thank you in advance. <br>

I have used smugmug. The site is www.jimsouthwellphotography.smugmug.com</p>

<p>Thank you to the pros who will be viewing. </p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>Your photos are absolutely beautiful and speak for themselves. <br>

The only thing I could think of suggesting right now would be perhaps to create some sort of visible "portfolio" area, gathering all of your very best images (choose one or two of the best from each gallery), into something that I can get to right from your main page. Someone looking at all of your photography is going to get less and less likely to poke around or through menus, browsing galleries unless they have a specific purpose, so create something that will capture the newcomers and keep them browsing. <br>

Maybe also check something with Smugmug, as I'm not familiar with them, but some of your photos look like they aren't as crisp/sharp as they could be, but it looks like what you find on Facebook type places that compress the images, so see if you can resize your own photos specifically for smugmug, or alter what compression algorithm they perform on your photos. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>You have a fine eye and I predict that you'll do very well.</p>

<p>I'd like to see you dial back the saturation on at least a few of your pictures. Cranking the vibrancy up to 11 on all of them gets old fast. (I often do the same thing, but I'm a hopeless color junkie.)</p>

<p>Having a dedication on the home page of your site is very sweet and totally unprofessional. A portfolio site isn't a book, its a promotional piece.</p>

<p>And I'm with Andrew - I think you could do better than smugmug.</p>