Canon EF-S 24mm pancake lens?

joe_hunt1

<blockquote>I do not see how Canon could make a 24mm pancake to fit EF-S when the register (flange to sensor) distance is 44mm. For this register 24mm lenses have to be retrofocus, even, I would expect, with the opportunity to extend towards the mirror in the APS-C models.</blockquote>

<p>Pentax make a 21 mm f3.2 pancake for their APS-C sensor, so it is possible.</p>

<p>In relation to the OP, Canon have show little interest in developing EF-S primes, with the 60 f2.8 macro being the only one I can think of and that is years old. Ironically that lens could have been made an EF lens without much compromise to its size.</p>

<p>Lately Canon have been focussed on pro-oriented lenses withn their Mark II L program and pro-priced consumer lenses such as the new IS USM primes. They seem to have gone very quiet in relation to EF-S and EF-M.</p>

<p>I totally prefer an eye-level VF, either EVF or optical, so the EOS-M wouldn't suit. For compactness I've now ordered an EOS 100D and 40mm even though it's a long focal length (at equiv. 64mm) for the APS-C and has no IS. As I've another EOS body and a couple of lenses already it seemed a fairly economic option.<br /> I would really prefer the Fuji X-E2 (at greater cost) with an 18mm or 27mm, but they're not IS either - although less in need of IS than the EOS 40mm.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Lately Canon have been focussed on pro-oriented lenses withn their Mark II L program and pro-priced consumer lenses such as the new IS USM primes. They seem to have gone very quiet in relation to EF-S and EF-M.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, maybe pianissimo. Canon updates their budget EF-S zooms, e.g., 18-55, 18-135 and 55-250, every year or two.</p>

<p>I used the EF 24 2.8 on APS-C as a walk around for years and it's sharp and really small. A half inch shorter pancake design would be inconsequential for most shooters.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>With reference to the last comment above (which I,m sorry to say I don't know how to import in the accepted format):<br>

"Well, maybe pianissimo. Canon updates their budget EF-S zooms, e.g., 18-55, 18-135 and 55-250, every year or two. I used the EF 24 2.8 on APS-C as a walk around for years and it's sharp and really small. A half inch shorter pancake design would be inconsequential for most shooters."<br>

The current EF 24mm f.2.8 at 55.7mm is over twice as long and over twice the weight of the 40mm pancake. If that's insignificant I might as well go back to the versatiile 18-55mm kit lens, which is a good bit lighter than the 24mm and just over 1/2" longer! </p>

<p>[[The current EF 24mm f.2.8 at 55.7mm is over twice as long and over twice the weight of the 40mm pancake.]]</p>

<p>He is talking about the original non-IS 24mm f/2.8 which is 48mm and 270g. I've also been using that lens on APS-C and have found it an excellent combination. </p>