Photographer turns her camera on men who gives her catcalls

<p>NPR has an interesting story on a female photographer who moved to Philadelphia from Colorado and noticed she was getting catcalled.<em> The photographer, who's currently working toward an MFA in photography at Yale, decided to turn the camera on the people who approached her on the Philly streets. This resulted in the series "City of Brotherly Love".</em></p>

<p><br /> Being a guy, I never had to deal with this while doing street photography. lol. Any photographers on PN have this happen or some other experience. How did you handle it. I thought this might spark some conversation. What if it happened to you?<br>

<br /> <a href="http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/10/17/235413025/a-photographer-turns-her-lens-on-men-who-cat-call">LINK</a> to story.</p>

Cheers, Mark

<blockquote>

<p>Being a guy, I never had to deal with this while doing street photography. lol. Any photographers on PN have this happen or some other experience. How did you handle it. I thought this might spark some conversation. What if it happened to you?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My wife would take my camera away and not let me out of the house again.</p>

<p>I once had something of a reaction.<br /> I'de spotted someone carrying an advert for a waxing salon in central London and after he spotted me take the photo, he threatened to call the police with the intention of reporting me as a terrorist. At the time, photographers were having a rough time being stopped by the police under anti terrorism legislation.<br /> I preferred the threat photo to the others.<br>

Oxford Street, December 2009<br>

<a title="Waxing by Peter Meade, on Flickr" href=" Waxing src="http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2730/4166653266_15c9cf1ee1_o.jpg" alt="Waxing" width="533" height="800" /></a></p>

<p>"Cat calls" (or wolf whistles) are (usually) men calling out to passing women, commenting on their attractiveness, asking for dates, etc., and can range from mildly teasing to outrageously bad taste and crude. I'm not sure they are done so much to impress or attract the woman involved as to perhaps entertain the caller and the men he might be with. The "prototype" would seem to be men working outdoors at some form of manual labor calling to women passing by on the sidewalk as indoor or office work doesn't lend itself to the practice without falling afoul of sexual harassment policies and laws these days.</p>