Choosing a lighting system: What makes a good system?

jason_fung

<p>Premise: I'm based in Asia, and I'm spoilt for choice for a number of unknown brands of lights. I am little torn wheter I should venture into the Chinese brands or the ones with more comprehensive reviews.<br>

My purposes: On location lighting. Portraits. Interiors. Large Modifiers<br>

My understanding, in my use of speedlights. The only thing that really matters is the ability to adjust power. All these strobes have that ability and function. What else makes a light good?<br>

I've looked intensively at the elinchrom ranger and Alien Bee 800 with the vegabond battery pack. I'm personally leaning torwards the Alien Bee's but the Chinese branded ones are so much more accessible. And I wanted your thoughts, opinions and help.<br>

From the Chinese brands, there is the CononMark LCT600, or photoflex?</p>

<p>your thoughts are greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Anything with a Bowens 'S' type fitting will give you access to the greatest range of modifiers, and without risk of the modifier falling off unexpectedly.</p>

<p>Some Chinese made equipment has poor earthing, low quality circuit boards, components working too close to their rated limit and badly soldered joints. Apart from that it's wonderful! I'm not saying that <em>all</em> Chinese made equipment is like that, but without taking it apart, how would you know?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What else makes a light good?<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Color consistency between flashes and even between shoots can be important. Flash duration can be important. Build quality, availability of modifiers (build quality of modifiers), availability of accessories allowing you to do what <em>you </em>want, such as the ability to control the flash from the camera position (think Elinchrom Skyport or Buff's Cyber Commander). </p>

Consistency in output level and color temperature from flash to flash even in rapid sequence.

Consistency in color from top of power range to bottom of power range.

Output adjustable in tenth stop increments.

Short t0.1 flash duration (not the t0.5 measurement.

Ruggedness.

Common enough reflector mount that you can use soft boxes from Chimera, Plume Ltd or with an adapter from

Elinchrom, as well as some of the fancier brand proprietary modifiers.

Standard reflector takes 7" diameter grid spots.

Powerful modeling light 150-300 watt quartz-halogen or equivalent.

Fan cooling , as quiet a fan as possible.

Sturdy stand mount.

<p>Your specification of "on location" lighting and use of "larger modifiers", provides important information.</p>

<p>Mono-lights are self-contained generators combined with light tubes and are bigger/heavier, therefore tend to be top heavy on a stand. Even more so when used with larger modifiers, especially when located high up in the air. Portable power packs tend to have smaller, lighter weight heads, and the separate generator pack can act as a stabilizer when mounted or hung low on the light stand.</p>

<p>Plus, portable pack systems are easier to employ as a mobile solution when working with an assistant. I use this approach for a lot of environmental portrait and event work because it is fast to change locations, or alter light direction and distance to subject. The assistant carries the head on the end of a mobile boom arm sometimes called a "painter's pole. Too much weight on the end of the boom arm is very difficult to hold and aim for any period of time, where smaller battery pack heads are much easier to move and control.</p>

<p>Modifiers have pretty much become universal ... <em>most</em> popular brands of modifiers can be used with the speed-ring for what ever strobe system you use. I use Elinchrom Rotalux modifiers on my Profoto heads. The Rotalux mods are some of the best around, and fold up very easy for transport ... and the Profoto mount system is the best made for versatility and stability ... so it is the best of both worlds.</p>

<p>Built-in radio receiver is also a good thing to have ... less stuff to hook up and mount when setting up the lighting. Even better if the lights can be controlled from the camera using the radio transmitter.</p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> </p>