Correct color management only in the large viewing.

taschin

<p>I note that recently the embedded s-rgb profile of my photos is discarded in the normal viewing and it is only correctly embedded in the large viewing. For a user like me that has a wide gamut monitor, the differences between the two configuration is appreciable. Moreover if I use the multiple upload the profile is always descarted.<br>

Thank you very much.<br>

Andrea</p>

<p>I'm no expert in color management, but I thought all images displayed on web pages by most software <em>assume an sRGB profile as the default</em>, so whether or not the image has an embedded sRGB profile won't make any difference to the way it's displayed.</p>

<p>I thought only when the profile <em>isn't</em> sRGB (e.g. if it's Adobe RGB) do you need to embed it, and then it will only display using the embedded profile if the software used for display understands color management and can actually use the profile information.</p>

<p>As I said, I'm no expert, so if we have an expert here, they might want to comment and correct me.</p>

<p>Dear Bob, the profile should be always embedded in a image. What you say is not properly true:<br>

"most software assume an sRGB profile as the default"<br>

<br />It depend on the software: for example in photoshop you can choose what to do when you open an untagged image (if you have set right the color management policies), if you choose "Leave as is (don't color manage)" photoshop assume that the rgb values are those of the working space and then makes the monitor compensation (that is convert to the display profile) in order to show it to you. Thus, it depend on the working space you chose.<br>

In a browser software, if it honors the color management, the profile of the image is converted to display profile to make the monitor compensation. With an untagged image the rgb values are interpreted like values of the display profile, this even occurs always in a browser software ,which doesn't honor the color management. This is the reason why in my wide gamut monitor (NEC P221W) an untagged image appears oversatured. Clearly if you have a monitor with a normal gamut similar to an s-rgb the differences are not evident.<br>

Thus saying "so whether or not the image has an embedded sRGB profile won't make any difference to the way it's displayed" is not correct.<br>

So, my opinion is that is always important embedding a profile in an image , generally it is assumed that an image in the web is in the s-rgb space because most of the monitors have a gamut close to this colorspace. <br>

Regards<br>

Andrea</p>

<p>I just checked for the sRGB profile on one of mine here...</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/14151056&size=md</p>

<p>Dragged and dropped both medium (md) and large (lg) to my desktop and ran a Colorsync Get Info Profile script and both show sRGB embedded.</p>

<p>Your issue may have something to do with the size of your original which will default to being the larger version and if it's too big when it gets downsized by PN for medium view the profile might get stripped. Note the size of the file I linked above. The medium and large aren't that much different because my originals are all sized to 700 pixels on the longest dimension.</p>

<p>Hi Tim, my landscape format photos are 825 pixels large and if I open the md and lg downloaded images, the first is untagged and the second s-rgb. This behavior didn't occur before, I'm sure. Moreover I noted that if you apply the multiple upload instead to upload images one by one, the profile gets always stripped. For the portrait format there is no problems instead.</p>