Alternative to SB 700

tom_williams12

<p>If possible, I would save for an SB-700. Otherwise, the only realistic alternative would be a used SB-600, but the SB-700 has two major advantages:</p>

<ul>

<li>The SB-700 can be a Nikon CLS master; the SB-600 cannot.</li>

<li>The SB-700 (and SB-900, 910) has a much more user-friendly controls.</li>

</ul>

<p>There are some third-party flashes that are supposed to be Nikon i-TTL/CLS compatible, but to say the least, experience is mixed. I would not recommend either the SB-400 or the new SB-300 unless you are very much a beginner.</p>

<p>I've had some good results from the Nissin camp. The 622Mk.2 is cheaper, more powerful, and works as a slave in iTTL mode on my D300. Only thing missing compared to my SB-600 is the FP or high speed sync mode. A photographer friend shoots weddings with both a SB-910 and Nissin 866, and she will always grab the Nissin before the Nikon, even though it's nearly half the price.<br>

I've read some promising things about the new Phottix Mitros, but yet to try it.</p>

<p>Nissin's recently introduced Di700 flash can be got for just over half the price of an SB-700. It offers i-TTL and CLS capability with a 'zoom' range from 24mm to 200mm. It also has a good power output - at least equal to an SB-600. The only real drawback is the user-inteface, which looks a bit over-simplified to me. EDIT: I believe the Di700 now supports FP (Hi-speed) synch.</p>

<p>Then for about 2/3rds the price of an SB-700 you can get a Nissin Di866 MkII. This has less of a zoom range, but has better build quality IMHO and a slightly more in-depth user interface. It's light output is actually slightly greater than Nikon's top SB-900 or 910.<br /> Both of the above models take a removable battery holder, spares of which can be bought separately. This means they're great for when you have to change batteries quickly. The batteries also all go in the same way round; so no juggling with batteries in the semi-dark while trying to guess which way round to put them.</p>

<p>Any lower in price than those Nissins, and you're looking at very limited functionality or taking a chance with the 'iffy' build quality of something like an Oolong 660 or YongNuo 565 model.</p>

<p>SB-600, no question about it. Those that have problems with the user interface will probably have problems mounting the flash to the hot shoe as well. It's actually dead simple.</p>

<p>I could write a manual for the SB-600 that covers everything needed with about four sentences.</p>

<p>But the SB-700 have lots of fluff. I think it just get's in the way of making a photo. Perfect for those that rather fiddle with their cameras than shoot. I'm starting to sound like the infamous Ken Rockwell now, sorry :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I personally love to shoot in available light but in certain situations or for real estate indoor photography or for studio work I use several flashes. I have SB700, SB800, SB900 and SB910 from Nikon and Nissin Di866 MkII and Nissin MG8000.<br>

I'd like to confirm what Wayne and Joe were saying about Nissin flashes. They are damn good for a portion of Nikon counterpart cost. When I need to work hard a flash I will pick a Nissin one. And I find the user-interface more simple and intuitive. SB800's interface is a nightmare for instance. The extra-battery holder of Nissin is very helpful during a busy time like an important event.<br>

I had no chance to use the new Nissin Di700 but looks quite polished and I think is a much better option than a SB700 for someone on a strict budget.</p>

<p>Yeah agree with everone else..depends what you want to use it for.<br>

Do you need it as a master flash unit?<br>

Do you need high speed sync?<br>

What kind of lens do you have and do you need the zoom head to zoom to 200mm etc.<br>

The sb 700 is $300 or so refurbished. So if you can't afford that, you are limited to SB 600, SB 800, Yongnuo, Nissan etc.,</p>

<p>Another vote for the Nissin 866. It works very well with my D300 and seamlessly with CLS, and has a bit more power than my SB800. I initally bought it as a second flash for use with CLS but it works just fine as a main unit as well. The interface is a little odd at first but once you figure it out its a great flash. The removable battery magazine is a great touch especially if you are using the flash in a heavy usage environment. The overall build quality and finish is not on par with the Nikon SB units but not cheap and quite hardy. </p>

<p>And at half the price its a very good option.</p>

<p>I've gone with an SB-600. But then I got one before there were very good alternatives available, and I also wanted a flash that would work with my F5. Since I had one and needed to understand its interface, my subsequent flashes have also been SB-600s. In isolation, the SB-700 is much nicer to use, I can't deny - but the SB-600 is obscure rather than difficult.<br />

<br />

On the master issue, bear in mind the D300's flash can act as a master (which is what I do with my D700 and D800). It's true that if you want more range or the ability to control three flash groups you need an accessory.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hello everyone, (my first post here).<br>

Tom,<br>

Maybe a purchase at "BESTBUY" can help, if you apply for their store credit card then you can buy the SB700 on a 18 month plan at 0%. Actually you should pay it off in 17 months otherwise they will hit you up with all the % over 18 months. So SB700 at $329 / 17 months = $19.35 a month. You will need to add TAX to $329 and then /17 months. Now you can have your cake and eat it too. That is exactly what I am going to do in October.<br>

Hope this helps,<br>

Vadim.</p>