Long focals for Pentax, new Tamron super Zoom...

wolf_weber

<p>Looks like I will soon have to bid <strong><em>Sayonara</em></strong> to Pentax. Rumor had filltered through the pipelines for quite some time, and now Tamron finally announced ...<em>"the development of a 150-600mm F5-6.3 zoom lens for full-frame and APS-C sensor cameras. It will feature 20 elements in 13 groups and have a minimum focus distance of 2.7m. Tamron will also include VC (Vibration Compensation) image stabilization and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) technologies. The lens will be developed for Canon, Nikon, and Sony mounts."</em>... But <strong>not</strong> for Pentax. Just as there is no quality 1.4x converter available for the rather sharp 70-200mm for my favorite cameras.<br>

Recently I coughed up more than 2K for a used 400mm 5.6 FA, only to return it to the Seller. It was no better than other lenses in the class, costing +/- 4x less. I still have an excellent PK A, albeit MF, Sigma APO in mint condition, that performs neither better nor worse when <strong><em>on target</em></strong>. They all seem to suffer from <em>dispersion</em> at the long end, because they just hadn't been conceived to deliver at (in real terms) 600mm. Even shots taken with Canon's 400mm f/5.6 suffer past 30 yards.<br>

I give <em>Mr. Ricoh</em> the time to catch up until the new Tamron lens gets into the hands of the <em>Testers</em>. Won't happen, I'm afraid. Instead we'll get plenty more colors. Yupee..!</p>

<p>Tamron hasn't been great about supporting K mount, in uncommon mounts,for some time. Fortunately Sigma has been and their lenses are easily available. I have to say I am amazed that Pentax came out with the 560mm f5.6 lens. I too would have expected a 400mm range lens first, but then that focal length, at least in a few zooms is covered by Sigma.</p>

<p>This issue may have been covered to death, but economics is economics. If I only wanted to shoot on the long end, notably birds, I probably would have switched to Canon or Nikon. People wanting 400mm+ lenses are a pretty small minority of photographers and as the SLR market shrinks it's likely that Pentax will have to center itself more and more around its bread an butter lenses, which are darn good optics. With regards to long teles with these ultra small 'super-tele zooms on APS sensors the market is likely to get even smaller. I'm not saying a APS 1200 lens gives you the image of a cropped 400, but it sure is a heck of a lot less to carry and will be an attractive replacement for someone who was at least thinking about a 400mm+ lens.<br>

<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p> Tamron finally announced ...<em>"the development of a 150-600mm F5-6.3 zoom lens. . .</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, this is a mere product development announcement, not a release of an actual product. Free advertising is the only rationale I can see for companies who have non-news to share. Perhaps when this lens is released there will be more data about Pentax K-3 sales. That should influence whether a K-mount version will be available whenever the lens actually happens.</p>

<p>Re: the lens, it looks like their take on the Bigma, a product which is more about convenience and less about stellar optical quality. A minimum focusing distance of 2.7 meters further narrows down usable situations. I'm hoping it is a great lens though. I would like Pentax to create a version of Nikon's new 80-400mm lens.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Wolf, I've used for many years a Tokina 400mm f/5.6. I have two versions of it, the AF and MF. I wouldn't call it the sharpest lens ever (though sharpness for me is not a holy grail, there are other characteristics I value), but it's a nice size, hand-holdable weight, the AF version works well on my K10D (and on other K's I've tested it on), so I've never felt the need to upgrade.</p>

<p>If I sound a little bit like a salesman, it might be because I'll probably be selling my AF version...but what I wrote is still the truth :-)<br /><br />Somewhere on the internets I once saw a comparison of the Pentax FA 400mm f/5.6, the Tokina and the Sigma versions. On digital the Sigma had terrible purple fringing (I also owned it at some point, and it's true!) while the Pentax and Tokina were quite similar. I decided to spend about 4x less (as you say) and buy the Tokina. Never looked back!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Looks like I will soon have to bid <strong><em>Sayonara</em></strong> to Pentax.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Really? You're going to bail on Pentax because Tamron won't offer that lens in K-mount? I'm a telephoto enthusiast and I'm pretty happy with my Pentax options. I have a variety of long lenses but my ace combination at present is the Sigma APO EX 500/4.5 & K-5IIs (with or without the Sigma TCs.) I'm really happy with the results I get (when things go right ;~) I imagine that the substitution of the K-3 would further improve the output. And then there's the DA 560/5.6 (theoretically, at least--I have yet to hear of anyone actually owning one much less seen a photo taken with it) not to mention the rare, revered and magnificently expensive Pentax A*, F & FA uber-lenses.</p>

<p>Now, admittedly I'm really not up on the options in other systems and I'm sure there are drool-worthy alternatives. I'm also guessing they're no less expensive than Pentax. My thinking is that a crop-sensor camera is preferred for telephoto shooting and, from what I do read, Pentax makes some of the best (and best-handling) crop-sensor cameras on the market. And, for those without deep pockets btw, the DA*300/4 along with a good TC (Tamron A-1.4x-S or AFA 1.7x) is very capable.</p>

<p>Do what you gotta do but I don't get it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Ough</em>, here we go again... Stirred up plenty dust, it seems. Not in the order received: Dave, Both the (very) long Pentax & Sigma lenses are a bit too heavy (for hand-holding) and too expensive for me. If I wanna pay that kind o'money I might as well go Canon all the way. It's a complete system. Don't always like the pixel quality of the EOS CMOS sensors though.<br /> Douglas, we've previously discussed Sigma zoom lenses. I've tried them all, even had one or the other, not good enough for my needs, especially not at their long ends. Plus the lens creeps. Thank You. Except for the weight, the 120-300mm with the 1.4x 5 element converter might do the trick. Sigma used to make very good APO 300mm f/4, and the (way back) much employed 400mm models. No more. Way things go... If the new (future music) Tamron zoom turns out to produce IQ similar to the nicely compact 70-200mm, albeit at significantly slower apertures, I might go for one. Tamron C.S. have advised me not to use any of the older teleconverters with my current previously mentioned.<br /> M.M., yes, the not too highly rated Tokina AT-X 400mm f/5.6 was actually a wonderful piece o'glass with excellent close focus capabilities. Gave me some outstanding results with the K-10D. When the <em>pixel wars</em> started, I was foolish enough to abandon Pentax alltogether for a while. Sold everything, including the AT-X which I had gotten brand new. Whatta fool. Haven't been able to find one of equal condition.<br /> By the way, no one here has reacted to the fact that one has to cough up more than 2K for a used 400mm f/5.6 FA, truly a rare bird... Goes to show that a (more) modern lens of that caliber is missing badly. Finally, I really need a macro extender for Pentax. You can get them for all the other systems. Not for <em>ours</em>. But, aah, the colors...</p>

<p>Well, Wolf might have a point here -- and not necessarily for long lenses: are the 3rd party lens makers dumping Pentax? </p>

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/25/sigma-announces-pricing-and-availability-of-24-105-f4-lens-art">The new Sigma 24-105/4 'Art' lens</a> will be available in Canon, Nikon, Sigma, and Sony mounts but not <em>Pentax</em>. The Tamron 24-70/2.8 FF lens isn't available for Pentax too. </p>

<p>Anirban,<br>

We've talked some about this in an earlier thread. The new f1.8 "Art" lens by Sigma that is specifically developed for cropped sensor cameras will be available in K-mount. The 24-105mm is intended for "FF" bodies. Since Pentax does not sell any current cameras of the sort, it seems like a reasonable business decision not to offer it in K-mount. Surely you would agree with that?</p>

<p>The same reasoning could be applied to the Tamron decision. With a miniscule market share in the US at least, Pentax has been in decline, and that increases risk by third-party lens makers. Hopefully the K-3 will begin the long road back in higher sales and more third-party support.<br>

<br />I think that each new lens released by Ricoh will increase the likelihood of additional third party support for K-mount.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Look at what Olypus has done to 4/3rd DSLR users. Go mirrorless or go away.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That will happen with Pentax too. What is better? For Pentax to keep selling you items that will become obsolete, or for them to start selling you modern equipment?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well, Wolf might have a point here -- and not necessarily for long lenses: are the 3rd party lens makers dumping Pentax?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Zeiss and Voigtlander already did. And there are many lenses from Sigma/Tamron that are not available in K mount - their 180mm macros, for example.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Don't always like the pixel quality of the EOS CMOS sensors though.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's no such thing as "pixel quality" - but <em>at the image level </em>I'll happily and very confidently put the results of what I do with my Canon 7D up against anything you can achieve with your Pentax, Wolf...</p>

<p>You've right <em>on the money</em>, Laurentiu, with your comment regarding modern macro lenses. Other than the<br /> excellent Tamron 180mm, none of the Sigma 105, 150 nor 180mm's are available for Pentax. The latter 3 have the additional advantage of working with the 5 element Sigma 1.4x's... One or the other 180mm I am craving in particular. Although with the 1.5 crop factor the 150 would also do. Even a quality 5 element 1.4x on the Tamron 70-200mm would be a <em>workable</em> compromise. We all know that some macro or close-up situations impose a discreet distance.<br /> For example: http://www.wolfp.com/Scoop-Katy.html - Taken with a Sigma 180mm f/2.8 for Canon (EOS-5, film). <br />Because of the flash not a perfect shot. But what a <em>scoop</em>...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For example: <a href="http://www.wolfp.com/Scoop-Katy.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.wolfp.com/Scoop-Katy.html</a> - Taken with a Sigma 180mm f/2.8 for Canon (EOS-5, film). </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Very nice shot! There were many lenses I wanted to have access to in K mount. I was looking forward to Voigtlander bringing up their 125mm and 180mm APO SLII macro lenses. But it looks like they stopped their SLII line for all mounts, not just Pentax (except for the 28/2.8 Skopar - maybe that one is the last?)</p>

<p>A rather telling footnote... <strong>ePhotozine</strong> has one of the first reviews of the new K-3. Raves, with a perfect score..! A camera to look forward to. But, on the downside: "<em><strong>Pentax K-3 Cons</strong></em>...<em> Lack of long zoom lenses. Current lack of lens support from some third party manufacturers." </em>Wake up, "<em>Mr. Ricoh"</em>..! <br />Personally, with the new 24 mp sensor, I could probably do with the FA 300mm f/4 + a quality 5 element (..!) teleconverter to go with. <br />What are they waiting for..?</p>

• 1 month later...

<p><strong>Update re the new Tamron Zoom</strong>...<br>

They sure aren't as slow as some other camera/lens makers. Available in CA EF mount from Dec. 19 in Japan. <br />A week or so later everywhere else. Truly, <em>a new kid in Town...</em> <br />At not much more than 4 pounds, I am licking my chops. At 400mm (640 in CA APC) of 600 it should produce <br />results as good as most previous 400mm fixed focals did. </p>