Ricohflex Dia Focusing Screen?

<p>I picked up a nice Ricohflex Dia (early model) that is almost mint. Everything seems to work well on it. Shutter cocks and fires at all speeds and focusing is smooth. Only problem is the the focusing screen is dirty, dirty! It also just seems plain dim. I scoured the internet and I couldn't find anything about cleaning the focusing screen. Has anyone out there pulled the screen and cleaned it? How hard can it be?</p>

<p>I haven't done it on a Dia, but I have cleaned many other screens. Removal on TLRs is usually straightforward, after which I clean the screen with warm soapy water, and maybe a soft toothbrush. Dry with a lint-free cloth and reinstall.<br>

If you still find the screen too dim, you might contact Rick Oleson for a replacement:<br>

<a href="http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html">http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html</a></p>

<p>I replaced the screen on my Ricohflex Dia as well as a Yashicaflex with one of Rick Oleson's split image screens...bright and clear, and now I can focus much more accurately. It's an easy job, but you do have to check out the focusing and possibly shim it a little to get things perfect.</p>

<p>Is it obvious how to take off the top and the screen out? There isn't a lot of info on those Ricohflex cameras like there are others. I'll take it off (if I can figure it out easily) and clean and see if that makes a big difference. If not I'll get one of Rick's screens... Thanks!</p>

<p>Is it a Fresnel screen, or just plain ground glass? I've got quite an early Ricohflex which has a nice bright Fresnel screen. You can tell by the circular pattern of grooves. If it has this, it should just need a good clean, along with the mirror. I have just taken it out and washed it with warm soapy water and a soft brush to get all the muck out of the grooves, followed by rinsing with clean water and drying. If its a plain ground glass then yes, a new screen is the way to go. There are normally four little screws which hold on the viewing hood. It lifts off quite easily.</p>