"Slideshow" like?

<p>I've become really attached to my XP version of their screensaver. It's simple, it shows the folder (and all subfolders) images in a random basis when the computer has been idle for as little as 1 minutes and you can have it go forever (literally?). <br>

<br />I enjoy it because I use it with the file name present (top left corner) and if I have an idea that strikes me when I see my pic on my 55 inch Sony Bravia - I simply right the filename down with the thought (to crop it more, lighten it, etc}. <br>

<br />Also, more importantly, I see something that may have been good once upon a time but now stinks - the file name gives me the delete info handy as well - in what I call increasing the quality of the images I'm showing. I do keep the images of family, kids, friends, memories - those I just never tire of. <br>

<br />All in all I have 15k jpegs and I just had a Macbook Pro that my Son gave me and they showed splendidly in wonderful HD on the Sony Bravia - probably spoiled me. Right now I'm running a HDMI cable the 50 feet to the TV, but right away in the Clone View and/or the resolution is messed up and not crisp like the Pro) when before I used to watch my images on the TV from the laptop and be inspired as I worked PS on my Desktop.<br>

<br />Finally the question - does anyone else use software or does windows 7&8 have the features. What about the best laptop for a photographer who likes to view his images this way. Hopefully there is someone out there who had the same problem and solution.<br>

<br />Thanks!</p>

<p>Windows 7 has a similar feature. Right-click in any blank area of your wallpaper and select Personalize, then choose Screen Saver from that screen. But it doesn't have an option to display file names. In Win7 all the files have to be in one folder, and you can select only one size/resolution for them all.<br>

<Chas></p>

<blockquote>In Win7 all the files have to be in one folder, and you can select only one size/resolution for them all.</blockquote>

<p>That is true - but it can be a very large folder, such as your entire "my pictures" folder group.</p>

<p>Windows 8 uses the same concepts.</p>

<p>Picasa (from Google now) which is free when installed on your desktop has a nice screen-saver feature which allows more flexibility, including showing captions, selecting folder-by-folder which you want to use and setting timing and zoom/pan, etc. I use that on all my machines.</p>

<p>I moved from XP to Windows 7 and found the slide show display frustrating because I could not get the file names to display.<br>

However, using a forum like this one I found an answer. I still had my old XP machine so was able to copy the XP screen saver from the old PC to the new one and it worked!<br>

<br /> From XP Windows\System32 folder copy the file <em>SSMYPICS.SCR </em>to the Windows\System32 Folder in Windows7.</p>

• 4 weeks later...