raw image issue

jerry_milroy1

<p>I took some pics this weekend with my D300 of my wifes dog. Some of the images were taken as raw images. This is the first time i have taken raw image pics I normally take jpeg fine. When i went to review the images on the computer I could open the image once then the file under the picture had changed to .xmp and the image disappeared. I opened the files by going into computer then owner then pictures then the file. I have no idea what is going on.. I wish i had never tried takeing the raw image, is there a way to change the image to a jpeg fine so i can use it. Can someone explain what is going on.. Thank you</p>

<p>So i need to use a program like Nikon view or photoshop to view the image. I wanted to send some photos to a friend. So do they need to have a program to view the image also. If that is the case i really screwed up. Why is the image changing to a .xmp and not allowing it to be opened again?</p>

<p>True, a <em>special</em> sort of program is needed to typically open raw files as they are usually specific by camera model. After a short time, entities like Adobe release raw reader updates for programs like Elements and etc. You might try a free online program called IRFANview which may be able to open the file and allow you to save it as another type, e.g. jpeg.</p>

<p>As to the xmp, Windows often makes an assumption and tries to open a file by itself (or with your acknowledged approval via a pop-up window, once). Then Windows <strong>associates</strong> that file type with that program. You need to go into the Windows area and change the file association, if that occurs. Lots of info online how to do that for various Windows versions.</p>

<p>I'm not enough of an expert to comment further.</p>

<p>[[i wanted to send some photos to a friend. So do they need to have a program to view the image also]]</p>

<p>No, they don't. What you need to do is develop the RAW images with an appropriate program and export the resulting file as a JPG. Then send them the JPG files. </p>

<p>OK, here you go. .xmp is only a SMALL side-car file. It tells software what you used. It can safely be deleted.<br>

1- All raw files <strong>must</strong> be converted to a <strong>jpg</strong> or <strong>tiff</strong> file. Think of a raw file as simply raw information that needs to be converted. You can use Picasa, Lightroom, Photoshop Elements 11, Photoshop PS CS6, and others. Nikon also makes Nikon View for this purpose. It is free.<br>

2- Almost any software will read a JPG file - even generic Windows.<br>

3- Raw files can save a poorly exposed shot, or one with poor color balance.<br>

4- Unless you <strong>purposely</strong> deleted the raw file, it is still there. Do a search for any <strong>.NEF</strong> file. Try <strong>%.NEF%</strong> in windows search window.</p>

<p>raw files are essentially digital negatives from the camera's sensor ; raw converters, and there are many will convert raw to other formats, and may allow various levels of development on raw files; try a web search for raw converters appropriate for your camera, and download some trial versions, play and determine which you like, and so on. nikon view nx2, a free download, allows you to view raw files, has some minimum editing/development capabilities; and, allows batch conversion to jpeg.<br>

xmp files contain image metadata, including development settings,which can be deleted if you do not wish to keep those settings</p>

<p>I am curious about this statement: -<br>

<em>"All raw files <strong>must</strong> be converted to a <strong>jpg</strong> or <strong>tiff</strong> file" </em><br>

<strong>Must?</strong> Why? I have huge quantities of RAW/NEF files that have never been converted, but may have been tweaked in Capture NX2 and re-saved in NEF format. I have produced many excellent prints directly from NEF, although for the largest prints or those that require more finishing work I will produce a print version in Photoshop and save as a TIFF before printing.<em><br /></em><br>

Nikon's NEF RAW files can be directly viewed in MS Windows by searching for and installing the Nikon NEF codec pack (<a href="http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/">http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/</a>).</p>

Nigel, you are correct. Raw files can be left on the hard drive without doing anything.

A more accurate statement is that all raw data must be converted to RGB values before being easily viewed by a Hunan.

A jpg or tiff file is not required but there will be a set of RGB values somewhere, even if only in temporary memory calculated by the codec.