Kodak's emergence from bankruptcy

<p>The vitriol in spew is not selected for any one individual. It occurs in film forums where its open season to make senseless remarks regarding film, with the intent for some reason, not known, to beat the drum of the alternate media, and it is consistent. For countless threads here, and elsewhere, there are those that seethe at the thought of films grandeur. Here we have news that film will continue to evolve as it has for as long as its been in existence, yet we get, " Is Kodak even going to be putting out film anymore?" When for months now its been common knowledge, that that in lieu of the financial issues surrounding the company, film has proven profitable, and the dynamics of the bankruptcy deal has been crafted for Kodak films survival. Stupid...And its everywhere! I share Daniels frustration, perhaps differing in varying ways, but frustrated non the less. This forum does pertain to film, and yet the contributors need to defend their view of film too often. My suggestion is, if you don't care for film, or can't figure it out, your welcome to go elsewhere.</p>

Re: the AP article that says Kodak film is gone, ahem, black and white film will likely outlive the Associated Press. Also,

you have to give Kodak Alaris time to present their game plan for film. If it is to milk it for all it is worth until all the motion

stock agreements have been fuffiled, then we will know the outcome of that sooner or later.

But my hunch is that Kodak Alaris wants to figure out every way possible to both rescale according to demand and find

more innovative ways to market film. Nothing has happened regarding the marketing of Kodak film because most of those

involved have had their hands tied for a number of years. Now they are free to move Kodak film into the future, into the

hands of the niche film user.

None of this speculating is showing what can be done with film, it is just adding to the great distraction called the Internet.

Someone out there right this moment is making amazing imagery on current Kodak film stocks and are using it like they

have no plans to stop......I bet they hardly even know discussions like this exist.

<blockquote>

<p> it is just adding to the great distraction called the Internet.</p>

<p>I bet they hardly even know discussions like this exist.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How can it be a distraction if they don't even know it exists?<br>

<br>

Why must you continually try to cut off these discussions? Is the Film and Processing forum becoming overloaded? Are the server hard drives getting filled up?<br>

<br>

When I see a discussion I don't like I shut off my browser, fire up my scanner, and scan some film. It keeps my blood pressure in check.<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>I'd like to add some clarification of the current situation in respect to film. I'm also both a film and a digital user, and I don't want to sound negative (no pun intended) about the future of Kodak branded films, but here's what's happening.</p>

<p>Kodak Alaris is committed to both the Document Imaging and the Personal Imaging divisions that they received in the bankruptcy settlement with EKC. Along with the Personal Imaging division, they received the photographic film products that they will market, sell, and distribute under the Kodak brand name. EKC remains as the manufacturer of the film.</p>

<p>Kodak Alaris is looking for sustained and profitable growth with the acquired imaging divisions. They will remain in Building 205 in the Eastman Business Park for the next five years and then decide whether to move to a different location. They have a current 5-year lease. Dennis Olbrich is the head of the Personal Imaging division (where film resides) and Dolores Krutchen is head of the Document Imaging division. Kodak Alaris is concentrating on document scanners and have numerous government and commercial accounts under the Document Imaging division that they inherited. They want to expand that business and feel it is very profitable.</p>

<p>The Personal Imaging division is concentrating on retail and event solutions. They also see growth in that area and in dry processing (not wet) for transferring digital images (esp from smart phone cameras) to photographs and photo album products. This will be through retail stores and kiosks at events and theme parks. But it's the Document Imaging division that they see as the real income generator. It was the ' grand prize' from the settlement with KPP (UK Kodak Pension Plan.)</p>

<p>The photographic film products (under the Personal Imaging division) was part of the bankruptcy settlement and came as an 'extra.' Kodak Alaris will continue distributing and selling film but it's not something they see as having a lot of potential in the future in respect to revenue. Olbrich said, <em>"</em>Consumer and professional film have stabilized somewhat over the last couple years but we expect that decline to continue." He also said that they will keep selling film "if it remains profitable."</p>

<p>Kodak Alaris is not committed to film. It's not the product that they want to invest in. It will remain as long as it's not going to eat into profits. And it also depends on EKC's status with the motion picture industry and their production of motion picture film. EKC does have a written commitment with the studios but once that's over then things aren't so clear.</p>

<p>I personally hope that film remains (i.e., color film; B+W from Ilford and others I think will be here for a while.) Fuji pulled out of the motion picture business this spring and I'm not sure how much longer they will want to be producing film (I know nothing about Fuji's situation with film manufacturing.) But Kodak branded film under Kodak Alaris is not a certainty in the near future.</p>