The Rule of Thirds--Where did it come from?

<blockquote>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=405631">Jeff Schraeder</a>: <em>One only needs to look at Depardon's book Errance to see how well you can do by ignoring the "rules"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have nothing to contribute to this discussion other than what has already been said. But thanks to Jeff, I'm now aware of a photographer I was previously unfamiliar with. Thanks. Very interesting work. </p>

<p>Well, so far the only references I can find to the Rule of Thirds are in books which seem aimed at the amateur photographer. And, until recent publications, it is often suggested as one of many visual theories, none of which should be used except, essentially, when they work. Actually, most suggested you should compose intuitively, that these were just more like ideas to plant in your head along with the principles and elements of art/design, to be drawn on when they were applicable to your composition.</p>

<p>Certainly, my survey isn't exhaustive but has included probably 30-40 books going back into the 1800's--other than the 1797 citation where we first see the name used, the term disappears for over 100 years and then is applied to a principle that is somewhat more defined but less robust.</p>

<p>If anyone knows of any sources that refer to the Rule of Thirds or the use of the grid other than the 1797 text that isn't a photography book, I would be appreciative of knowing about it.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>