Nikon 200-400mm VR II vs VR I

anura1

<p>I am planning a safari trip and thinking of renting Nikon 200-400mm VR II lens + TC 1.4 as my main lens for the trip to use with my Nikon D7000. When I compare the renting prices there is a considerable difference between VR II & VR I. I just want to know from the people who have used both versions of this lens that is there any major improvement of picture quality, VR etc on VR II over VR I ?? <br>

Thanks !!</p>

<p>Anura, go to this previous post on the subject:<br>

<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00axcp">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00axcp</a><br>

Version II had three upgrades as I recall as follows:</p>

<ul>

<li>Improved vibration reduction with the newer VR2.</li>

<li>Nano lens coating to reduce flare and ghosting</li>

<li>New A/M auto focus mode that prevents accidental override of AF when the photographer touches the focus ring.</li>

</ul>

<p>I have the first version and am very happy with it. I normally upgrade when a new version comes out if it has significant improvements but in the case of the 200-400mm I didn't see enough improvement to warrant the higher price. Optically they are the same.</p>

<p>There is minimal difference between version 1 and 2, as Barry points out above. The main difference is a newer version of VR. At least in my case, since I mainly use this lens with VR switched off, the small difference is meaningless to me.</p>

<p>If you can save money renting or buying version 1, I would get version 1. Your main concern is that obviously version 1 has been around for longer. If the rental lens has been abused over and over, an old abused lens (regardless of which version) could be in poorer condition. If you can inspect the lens in person beforehand, it may help.</p>