Film compacts or SLRs - what you guys doing ..

RaymondC

<p>I've been using SLRs with fim b/c I am more careful etc. and with its greater control. I've been looking at the Richoh GR since they made it onto digital and they had the film versions too so I am just wondering if much of you guys use compact film cameras or are most of you using film with SLRs or at least cameras with more controls? Like many part of mine is that for compacts or casual use, people want it to be shared around and film may have a slower turnover. I can see that it can be useful for street or candids though. </p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<p>I love old cameras, not film, so my shooting has been largely to test out the historical development of "modern film cameras". I did a whole series on the early AF cameras. I was surprised to find out how well they work, even by today's standards - and they are usually pretty inexpensive these days, as well. Almost any Canon EOS film camera is still usable, unless you're doing something like sports or such. I found the same for the old 'screw-motor' Nikon AF cameras.<br /> Especially nice modern film cameras are such affordable models as the Canon EOS-1 and EOS-3, Nikon F80 (N80 in US) and F100, and the FD-mount Canon T90 (although watch for shutter problems there, and it is manual focus). There are other good ones too. Ricoh stopped making SLRs before they got to the last form of the breed, but I found their cameras to be excellent.</p>

<p>For the sort of thing you're looking for, you might want to look at the specific forums for each marque (Nikon Canon, etc.) despite their bent toward modern digital cameras (Canon FD is obviously an exception) :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I mostly use compact cameras when I shoot film now: Olympus XA3 and 35 RC. Even my favorite medium format camera is reasonably compact - an Agfa Isolette folder that fits in my cargo jeans pockets or jacket pocket. I have Nikon SLRs - FM2N, F3HP, N6006 - and a Yashica TLR, but don't often use 'em.</p>

<p>I was briefly interested in the Ricoh GR1 but all the Moriyama wannabes drove the used prices beyond reason, and some folks report problems with the GR1 which is approaching 17 or 18 years old.</p>

<p>Among the few 35mm film cameras I haven't tried that still interest me are the Konica Hexar RF and AF models. But I'm not interested enough to actually buy one.</p>

<p>Ray, I have many SLRs and many more compacts. I have found several gems among the compacts, and was thrilled to score a clean copy of the cult-classic Yashica T4 Super a few years ago. I've used it exactly ZERO times. I would much rather use my T90.</p>

<p>Likewise I discovered the Sure Shot 130u has usability features that leave all the others in the dirt; being so cheaply available because nobody knows about them, I've acquired several. I've put perhaps two rolls of film through one of them in the last five years. I would much rather use my N80 or RX, or my new EOS M.</p>

<p>I don't have a spare compact digital available, so I've kept a Minolta Freedom Zoom 140 EX loaded with Delta 400 and stashed in the glove box of my car for the last year and a half. I have never had occasion to reach for it.</p>

<p>Got me a QL17 GIII several years ago. Never used it. Rather shoot with the F-1. And so on, and so on. This in no way compares to the Ricoh GR, which I have never held. I just can't imagine using anything other than an SLR (other than my M, that is.)</p>

<p>I happen to have a number of SLRs and quite a few compacts too. I just got another Olympus Stylus Epic and enjoy playing with it. I have several different Olympus Stylus zooms and a really nice Canon Sure Shot z180u. Truth be told though, when it comes to compacts, of late all of the compact duties have gone to my EOS-M. I do plan to finish the rolls in some of my compacts this weekend.</p>

<p>I grab a 35 mm point and shoot more often than I do an SLR, but then, I'm not specifically after "image quality" and I'm not into bokeh. They get me the shot quicker and I like the look. So, it depends on what you're after. If you're talking about the more traditional compact 35 mm cameras like from the 70's, I can guarantee you that the pictures are just as good as those produced with any professional SLR.</p>

<p>A few years ago, I pitched the last of my Fuji and Nikon p&s cameras after they crapped out. Didn't miss 'em, either. Most of them seem to be suffering from age-related issues, even the luxo Ricoh and Nikon models. Cult/fetish items like the Yashica T4 and various Nixon-era cheapo rangefinders don't seem worth the bother measured against the probability of breakdowns and battery issues. Relative to many film SLRs, they're usually not welcome at repair places whose staff see them as disposable.<br>

Teensy SLRs like the Nikon FG are cheap, plentiful and tough. I have a couple that took the place of my deceased p&s cameras. The added controls, small non-threatening size, and Nikon MF lenses lured me away from another p&s.</p>

<p>Thanks all - I was just after what your shooting habits are like re: P&S compact film cameras or not. I tend to shoot more deliberate with a larger manual film camera or a compact SLR like a Nikon FM with a little lens but for casual shots and involving people I use digital and because due to them they want them on social media anyway and they want to see how the photo is like on the spot. Digital quality P&S are coming out just now but they are pricey maybe in due time second hand. Cheers again. </p>

<p>Yeah, it didn't hurt so much when those decade-plus-old P&S cameras crapped out, when I could pick 'em up for five bucks at pawn shops and thrift stores. But ebay and web-driven hype have given some P&S film cameras unwarranted cult classic status and consequent silly prices. Occasionally I still hear online friends brag about finding a Yashica T4 or something in a pawn shop or thrift store for 50 cents or five bucks, but not often.</p>

<p>The last really good deals I found on those types of cameras were at least 10 years ago, when I could still find a Canon AF35M for a couple of bucks, or, at the upper price range, an Olympus 35 RC for $20. And the last time I saw really low priced Olympus XA-series cameras was almost 20 years ago when casual family snapshooters ditched their P&S cameras for the low end Canon EOS cameras that they still used pretty much like P&S cameras. That was a great era for snagging bargains on compact non-SLR cameras.</p>

I particularly like the Nikon N80, the F100's kid brother. You can get one today for a song. The N90 is also good, but

doesn't fit my hand so well. The F100 feels like it was tailor made for me.

Sigh. So many cameras, so little time. And in my case, so little talent.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Myself, I got to have some manual control... <br />Since the Street Photography interest me the most, two fine cameras are my choice:<br /><strong>Rollei 35 SE</strong> and <strong>Yashica Electro GT</strong> (Black). <br />Both are very fine cameras with excellent lenses... <br />Rollei is nice because it's small and all-manual but it's nice to have faster f1.7 lens of Yashica GT. <br /> I love Yashica because of the flash shutter speed that is <strong>1/30</strong> instead of 1/60 or 1/125. - if it's really dark I just switch it to flash mode and got solid 1/30s shutter. With ASA400 film and 1.7 lens I'm safe :)<br /> These are my everyday cameras<br>

For portraits and on Vacation I prefer Minolta SLR (XE) or some old medium format cameras...<br>

I found myself using less and less of AF, P&S, battery-dependent cameras...<br>

Here are some of my snapshots, with various cameras... <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/harlemshuffle/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/harlemshuffle/</a><br /> M.S.</p><div>00cCJV-543872084.jpg.de053f1d034eac78f02c16c68034e652.jpg</div>