E-M1 review with high ISO samples

laur1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>Laurentiu - Ming Thein has a very good look at that lens on his blog. he said:<br>

"In a stroke, I think this lens becomes the defining do-it-all-and-anywhere for M4/3; yes, it’s a bit large, but the useful range, reasonably large aperture, solid build, outstanding optics, very close minimum focusing distance more than outweigh that. It’s not a cheap lens; but then again, I can’t think of any others with the same spec that are. Optically, this is one of the best zoom lenses I’ve ever used. It can replace a couple of primes in your kit quite easily; paired with the 75/1.8, I suspect this will make an outstandingly flexible travel combination. And yes, I’ve ordered one to go with my E-M1. MT"</p>

<p>http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/09/13/lens-review-the-olympus-12-40/</p>

<p>Interesting Tom. For me, it is too small. When asked whether I wanted free battery grips or free 4/3 adaptors with my 2 bodies I ordered the free battery grips without pause because without them the cameras are just too small for me to be comfortable and confident holding them. Also of course it means double battery life and the batteries are really one of the more pathetic parts of the camera!<br>

Laurentiu - ah; well that wisdom you must seek alone!;-)</p>

<p>Just put my new EM-1 through its paces on the weekend and am very pleased. In every respect I can think of it is an improvement over the EM-5, but in an evolutionary rather than revolutionary way.<br>

Sizewise it is about the same as the EM-5 so anyone concerned about whether it is too big compared to the EM-5 need not worry.<br>

Ergonomics are improved compared to the EM-5. The grip makes a big difference. The smaller and more numerous AF boxes are just as easy to use but more precise now. The EVF is really good. Having set up the EM-5, the EM-1 was quick to set up and ergonomics quick to get used to.<br>

The functions buttons are more accessible and assigning the two front buttons to DoF preview and custom WB works really well. You hardly ever need to go into menues once set up.<br>

The IBIS seems to work better than the EM-5.<br>

About the only thing I have not yet detected an improvement in is the IQ, which unscientifically seems about the same as the EM-5.</p>