d800 vs d610

barbara_king

The issue has been talked to death already, only as D800 vs. D600. Look up those discussions and ignore anything that's

about spots on the sensor (which is a D600 bug that the D610 fixes). Aside from the bug fix there is almost no difference

between the D600 and D610.

<p>Something worth noting too is that I think Nikon used to refer to the D800 as a 'PRO' camera and the D600 (presumably also the 610) as a 'PROSUMER' .<br>

That seems to suggest that the D800 is generally more solidly built, better weatherproofing, and will stand more vigorous usage etc </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Pete, I am also wondering whether, if those are the numbers seen with primes, whether there is particular advantage at all to the D800 when using zooms.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, you will never loose resolution by shooting with more megapixels so it's always advantageous to some degree.</p>

<p>Usually you get the highest resolution in the tele range. Looking for example at the new 70-200 f4 from Nikon dxomark says 21 P-Mpix for D800 and 18 P-Mpix for the D600. That's translates to roughly a 17% increase in megapixels and 8 percent in resolution for the D800. If we convert megapixels of resolution to lp/mm we get 78 lp/mm for the D800 and 72 lp/mm for the D600.</p>

<p>So even with a zoom there is a small difference that favors the D800. It just not the difference that most people image when going from 24 to 36 megapixels.</p>

<p>Just as a comparison if we take the same lens on a D7100 (24 megapixel DX) we get 13 p-Mpix real resolution. That translates into 61 lp/mm. That means that the D600 has roughly 18% more resolution and the D800 28% more resolution compared to the D7100. So the difference between DX and FX is more significant than the D800/D600.</p>

<p>Still it's easy to throw numbers around and forget that all of these cameras are good and can produce very high quality images.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have never seen a D610, but since it is almost identical to the D600, which I reviewed for photo.net, I would say the biggest difference from the D800 are the AF system and the controls. The D610's Multi-CAM 4800 is a fine AF system, but the D800 with 15 cross-type AF points is somewhat better.</p>

<p>The D610 has the D80/D90/D7000/D7100 type controls and lacks the 10-pin connector. While I have few problems with the D7000 and D7100, the D300/D700/D800 type controls are easier for me, and the 10-pin connector can be useful.</p>

<p>To me, pixel count is a secondary issue, and in these days SD cards are so common and fast that having two SD slots is just fine for me. In fact, I tend to depend on the SD card more now on my D800E. Since just about every laptop (and desktop) has an SD slot, it is a lot more convenient. To me, both viewfinders are fine and the build quality for the D600, D610, D7000, and D7100 is excellent.</p>

<p>If you can live with the D610's AF system and controls, you might as well save some money.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Hi. Am looking at the same two cameras. Poking around on 500px it seems to me that few images posted with D610 are as sharp as nearly all of the images posted with D800. Is that because of the camera differences, or do you-all believe that better photographers tend to buy more expensive gear? sorry if this is to noob a question</p>