E-M1 On The Way

bob_cook

<p>B&H will be shipping my new E-M1 body and a couple of accessories today. Ordered in October so it's been a long wait. I also ordered the 12 - 40, but they don't have any indication of when that will be in.</p>

<p>So I'm calling Olympus today (could be very frustrating) to find out if there will be any issues with me claiming the rebate offer. The forms have to be mailed by the end of December, which could be problematic if they don't ship the lens. Anyone else in this situation?</p>

<p>No, but I expect that if you go to the Olympus web site you can download the form you need and have done so. Although you may not have the packaging label to snip, you will have the B and H invoice I presume or the order e mail to verify order.<br>

I am optimistic they will not deny the rebate, but they may ask you to later send the box cutout. Be patient. They know there are tons of folks in your position who are awaiting the lens or accessory to get un back ordered...<em>.B and H customer service will likely have advice too!</em><br /> Now, do not forget to come back here and report on your experience with this camera for the benefit of other Olympus E series users. I am thinking of getting this camera next year. And also drop a few words about the accessories (which rarely get mentioned elsewhere). Enjoy and be rewarded for your patience. Christmas comes early for you my friend Bob. Aloha, gerry</p>

<p>I had a similar situation with the OMD Em5. There was a free 4/3rd's adapter offered with the purchase (worth $200). I had ordered a sliver body but they were on back order; I phoned Olympus Australia and as the order was taking weeks and weeks with no end in sight. I changed my order to the black body just to get my camera sooner. One of my concerns was the free adapter, which had a date limit. Because the camera was not available due to the high demand (so not my fault) they honored the voucher. I did have to wait until I actually had the camera so I could quote the serial number, but I did get the free adapter. I'm guessing that the rebate will still be valid, given that the situation is the same (not your fault). Good Luck!</p>

<p>I spoke with Ricardo in Olympus customer service. He said the eta on the zoom is to have all orders filled by the 2nd week in December. He assured me that if there is any kind of delay they will extend the closing date on submitting the form into January to allow customers to claim the rebate.</p>

<p>I called Arlington Camera a couple of weeks ago to get on the list for their next shipment of 12-40's. Low and behold, they had two left for in-store stock after filling the initial pre-orders, one of which was snapped up just as I called so I took the other, driving over and picking it up that evening. The E-M1 is soon to come, but the 12-40 works pretty darn sweet on the E-M5 too.</p>

<p>So, the package arrived Tuesday evening. A couple of first impressions:<br>

1. Very solid and I like the feel.<br>

2. Somewhat smaller than I imagined. Feels quite a bit different than my D700 w/ 17-35 2.8 or Hasselblad :)<br>

3. Finally figured out that the annoying "whirring" noise I was hearing when I depressed the shutter one-half down is the image stabilization. Do they all make that noise? I turned it off for now.<br>

4. Stunningly complicated set of choices for set up. I'll probably find some basic set and leave it that way. Is there a User Guide published yet, ala a Thom Hogan publication?</p>

<p>No user guide yet, Bob. I read that the online PDF file has more than what comes with the camera. Wrotniak is starting a piece on his camera and if history holds, he will have a lot to say. I am expecting there will be a Busch guide eventually(a la his E 5 book).<br>

My camera is due today. Bob. Keep us posted on your further experiences. I will try to offer the same as time marches on.<br>

"Maybe this will be my <em>last</em> camera," I say to my wife....she smiles indulgently.......</p>

<p>Since I ordered mine from B and H on the first day they reported IN STOCK on 12/3,, although I added the MMF3 adapter, I wonder hmm- long shot-if there is any way to <em>scoop up the 159 buck rebate</em>. (No form even on the web site, it is like GONE, poof, missed, sailed, missed muster, etc etc....) No big deal for we capitalists hah but it would be nice since I was only 1 day past deadline for getting my order in. I hate that word <em>Deadline btw when the camera is still in warehouses and pre order.</em>..<br /> B and H was very prompt in shipping. Kudos to them.... Even upgraded my 2 day to one day z( as you know we get no "free" shipping to here in the Sandwich Islands. Hey, its a long trek in outrigger.)<br /> I think yon Brits/Limeys/ friends over the pond/ got a more hospitable promotion from Oly UK.., just kidding. Camera is TINY for sure but solid as you say. Quite well made, with some thought, and rather handsome in a camera sort of way. I think it will carry me on for a long time. Just came in this PM and still sorting packaging. Will do some tests with the old lenses tomorrow and the Panasonic 12-35. Carrying the 50-200 may still be feasible so I think. I need the exercise to work off the pumpkin pie Bob....I would bet old Busch is working on his guide as we dialogue....I typically download the English PDF of the full manual and have it printed and bound by Office Max. Sometimes one has to go back to the mfr manual....<br /> aloha, happy holidays, gerry</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do they all make that noise? I turned it off for now.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, the E-M5 does it too, but I think the feature is off by default and the IS only activates when you press the shutter fully, not from half press.</p>

<p>I also turn it off unless I use a long lens when it helps with stabilizing the image in the viewfinder.</p>