G1X and lens choice

john_barnes5

<p>I have a canon 60D but want to get a smaller camera, pocketable, for when I want to travel light on hikes. I'm looking at a used panasonic G1X. I'd like a lens in the 10mm-20mm range, fixed or zoom, with a decent macro capability (about one-half lifesize). Since I'd like the camera and lens to be pocketable, is there a lens that would meet my needs? I'm not familiar with the 4/3 system so would appreciate the help from users of the 4/3 system.</p>

<p>FYI: The camera is called the GX1. Confusingly, the G1X is the large-sensor Canon point and shoot.</p>

<p>[[i'm not familiar with the 4/3 system]]</p>

<p>The GX1 is part of the Micro 4/3rds system not the 4/3rds system. As you are looking for lenses, presumably without having to buy an adapter, it is important to recognize this. 4/3rds lenses will only work on Micro 4/3rds cameras with an adapter.</p>

<p>[[i'd like a lens in the 10mm-20mm range]]</p>

<p>You want this as your actual focal length or this is the 35mm equivalent field of view you'd wish to achieve with the lens? Remember that the Micro 4/3rds system has a "crop factor" of 2x when discussing equivalent FoV.</p>

The most pocket-able lenses would be the following Panasonic pancake lenses; 20mm, 14mm and the PZ 14-42/3.5-5.6 XG zoom. The 14mm would be the smallest and have an equivalent FF focal length of 28mm (approximately 18mm equivalent lens on your 60D). In all cases, it would still require a rather large pocket to carry this set up and you would need to check the close focus ability of these options.

<p>Thanks Rob, I meant GX1. I am aware that it has a 2x crop factor so the 10mm-20mm lens is the actual focal length (equivalent to 20-40mm in 35mm terms).<br>

Kenneth, my hiking pants have deep pockets so I don't need it to fit a normal size pocket. I'll research the 14mm for its close focus ablity.</p>

<p>Only a µ4/3 macro lens will go to 1/2 life size, unless you use an extension tube. The 14/2.5 has good optics, fast AF and focuses down to .59 ft. The 20/1.7 is very sharp, slow AF and focuses down to .66ft. I have a GX1 and the above mentioned lenses. I also have the EOS-M with the 22mm lens (35mm FOV). The AF is slow, but the IQ is better , (particularly the OOC JPGs) it focuses down to .49ft., and I much prefer it as a walk around camera. As a Canon user, you'll feel right at home with the menus and the way the files look. If you can find one of these camera & body kits, new or used at the fires sale price of $300, it's a great deal. <a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Reviews/Canon-EF-M-22mm-f2.0-STM-lens-review-compact-prime-with-high-image-quality">DxO lens test</a></p>

<p> </p>