Payment issues...

Hello,

I recently photographed a wedding for a couple. The wife builds websites for a living, we decided to do an exchange of services because

I didn't have a website yet, and they didn't have a lot to spend for their wedding. She asked me to send her photos to put on the website,

so I did, she's promised to upload them the next day and it never happend. I've sent her photos a few times thAt she's promise to upload

"soon" and it never happens. I've shown her some photos from the wedding and she's been really impressed, but I haven't heard from her

in a few weeks and she hasn't responded about my website questions like why aren't my photos getting uploaded?

What can/should I do? This Is is really frustrating.

<p>Live and learn. Don't agree to shoot weddings without payment up front, or at least require final payment before giving anyone images. Don't do trades either.</p>

<p>Now you have, absent a contract specifying time of performance and what happens in the event of a breach, is continuing to communicate with her and withholding images until her part is done. The latter being an unpleasant scenario. After that is court. Even worse. Especially since it not just money, its working with you to set up a website that you seek. Not exactly desirable when you have a stressful relationship. </p>

<p>Sometimes people feel that contracts are not "friendly" or personal but the truth is often contracts allow you to remain "friends" and if you don't remain friends a contract allows you a basis to get what you are entitled to. Just as the film cliche says, "It's not personal, it is just business"</p>

<p>A rule of thumb I learned (the hard way) is never do a trade for services. There is no tangible exchange of payment in these situations, so going through legal channels will be impossible.<br /> If someone wants to trade with me, they pay me for my work, then I pay them for their work. This will protect both sides of the exchange.<br /> I agree with Allen Hale above whole heartedly, always get a contract even if it is just a brief few sentences laying out what you will do for them and they will do for you, and always put in a due date. A client once asked "Why do we need a contract?" my response was that it protects them as much as it does me.</p>

<p>Sorry you learned the hard way on this, I hope all works out well for you. Make sure you can update your site pretty easily or you are going to pay someone to do the same, oh and change your pass with the hosting co and make sure the hosting co is aware that the site is yours.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm also not planning on trading services... Ever again.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You shouldn't let this put you off trading services. The fact is this went wrong because she was unreliable. If it was a paid gig she would still be unreliable. Trading services with someone more reliable will result in a better outcome - just don't work wit this person again.... unless they pay in advance.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>I donno, She just got married. I would give her at least 2 months maybe 3. So much changes in your life after the marraige. Moving in, honeymoon, parties, family visits...It also helps wed shooters take months to deliver.</p>