Camera ID help?

<p>Unfortunately, thats the best picture I have, and full size too. On the auction it was listed as Kodak? (With the question mark) So the seller didn't have a clue. I didn't have time to email the seller, and it was an $18 camera, so I decided to just gamble. Something I've alway regretted to date :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As Michael says, can you post what is written around the lens and also have a look elsewhere such as stamped into the leather?<br /> <br />I can't be sure but it looks like the lens is in an Ibsor shutter which would make it after 1926. The format will be given by the lens focal length. I am guessing it is a 135mm lens and so the film format would be 9 x 12 cm.<br /> <br /> if lens focal length is 135mm then film size is 9 x 12cm (most likely)<br /> If it is 105mm then the film format is 6 x 9 cm.<br /> If it is 150mm then film size is 10 x 15 cm.<br /> <br /> You are probably looking at a date of 1926 to about 10 years later as these cameras were largely superseded by 120 rollfilm cameras after then. These cameras were almost all German-made and many have no identifiable maker. The lens and shutter can be identified and they are your best clue as to who made it. I doubt it is a kodak as they tended to make roll-film cameras.<br /> <br />The film came in film sheets and these were held in single metal slide film holders or sometimes a film pack adaptor. Or if you were a diehard you could also use glass plates in the slides instead. The shot was composed and focused on the ground glass screen then the screen was removed and the loaded slide was slid into its place. The slide was removed and the shutter tripped. Not terribly fast but the results were high quality due to the large film size.<br /> <br /> A simpler way to use these cameras was with a roll film holder. These were mostly only available in 120 size so the image area was reduced on th 9 x 12cm size camera. If you want to try the camera you might try getting a fitting 120 roll fill holder. If you haven't got one with the camera then they can sometimes be found on ebay and seem (!) to be fairly standard fitting.</p>

<p>There are (or were) lots of film adaptors (mostly for sheet film, sometimes for roll film - but there were a few odd format back then) for plate cameras available. The problem is that back in the 20s there were lots of different plate holders, and so it will be hard to find a film adaptor which will fit into the grooves of the plate holder in your camera. <br>

Concerning the maker of this camera, as mentioned by others, in the 1920s there were quite a few small companies and sometimes craftsmen making camera bodies. Sometimes small series of these cameras were made to order of local camera shops. The camera bodies were mostly made from plywood, so even some cabinet makers made cameras back then which were fitted with a bellows, a lens standard and a lens/shutter combo. Some of these parts were available off the shelf. </p>

<p>If you have a film holder or two you can use those. You will need to definitely establish the film sheet size by measuring the inside of the holder. Sheet film can be found by googling the exact size you want so for example google :<br>

9x12cm film sheets<br>

which gives several suppliers. You may need some ingenuity to make the film sheets lie flat in the holders. If the holder was orginally for glass plates then a backing sheet of stiff card brings the sheet to the right thickness. <br>

An alternative is to find a rollfilm holder which fits your camera. You will then be able to use 120 film in it. Makers of roll film holders include Rada. The modern rollfilm holders are mostly designed for 4x5 so will almost certainly not fit your camera. </p>

<p>Wow. Looking closer at the picture I can indeed make out Ernamann. Now if the seller would just ship the darn thing, I could begin to figure out if I can use it.<br>

Thanks to everyone. I'll have to learn more about film backs. I bought a baby Speed Graphic too, which arrived today. It has some sort of film back and winding knobs. A different post :-)</p>

<p>James, it would be very useful if the object on the left of the shot was a graflok back but I think it is that most useless of objects to the modern LF user - a 1930s film pack adaptor - a thing like a bit like a Grafmatic back but minus the clever sheet changer. The cut films came in a special pack and had paper tabs which allowed the sheets to be moved from front to back without exposure to light. Lots of old folding plate cameras come with these adaptors so they must have been popular in their day. But, to my knowledge anyway, the film packs haven't been available for decades.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>All good answers. If 9x12 film size, Freestyle has some Foma 100 which would be great. I used to cut down 4x5 sheet film WITH CARE. One of the most versatile cameras going and with some rise-fall, works great for landscapes. Every type of adapter was once made: single glass plate holder; later with film sheath for sheet film; roll film holders; double sheet film holder backs-3-1/2 x 4-1/2 for 9x12 cameras; and film pack backs. The Kodak Made in Germany (Nagel) model was called Recomar.</p>