Elmar 50mm f3.5 Shade/Hood?

<p>I just purchased a Leica 50mm Elmar 50mm f3.5. All my lenses have shades/hoods. I have been reading the specifications on this model. It appears that it's simple design, four elements, make it NOT prone to flare and that a shade/hood may not be necessary but just an expensive encumbrance. What are your experiences with this lens? Is the shade/hood necessary?</p>

<p>It will definitely flare if you get the sun in the frame. The front element is right out there at the end of the lens. Coated models will show less flare, but will still flare. Hoods are a PITA because of the way that you have to set the aperture, and can be expensive. Juan's suggestion for a FISON is a good one, but I still thought that was too much money for me. Simply measure the outside diameter on the front there, and use an inexpensive series adapter/filter/hood. </p>

<p>I was lucky and inherited a IIIf with the VALOO hood on the 50/3.5 Elmar. It was originally intended for using thie lens on enlargers, but it works just fine on the camera. It has a ring for setting f-stops that hooks onto the tiny tab on the front of the lens. If you search "leica valoo" on Google Images you'll find many pictures of this item. Unfortunately, since it's a Leica accessory, prices are inflated. On the auction site the VALOO is currently listed at $77 BIN and up.</p>

<p>I have decided to go with the FISON & ordered one from a brick & mortar store which was appreciably lower than anything listed on the auction site. I felt it was the original hood to that lens & I decided to keep it all original. I considered the difficulty of changing the aperture but since this camera is not my primary I can live with it. I am now awaiting its arrival.</p>

<p>My FISON arrived today. I thought I might put some final comments on this site about this hood. There is a ring that is attached to the hood that is used to hold the hood to the lens. The ring is held to the hood with 2 screws which causes the hood to pivot or shift as you tighten it down. Three screws would have been correct to maintain a better fit. The hood is quite small. When attached to the lens the cap of the lens fits the hood. As for changing the f/stop when the lens is attached I did not have any trouble. If your fingers are not large and you have some fingernail it is not a problem reaching in and changing the f/stop. </p>

• 4 weeks later...