Flickr Sure Looks Different

<p>I am old enough now that nothing should surprise me any more, but that a bunch of, I suppose, professional website designers can screw something up so totally comprehensively and be paid for it, is beyond belief.<br />I have about 5,500 images on Flickr on a paid subscription basis. I will be looking for a new home for them, if there is not urgent action taken by whoever makes decisions to go ahead with changes without consulting the users. It is #101 of computer systems: Consult the user, duh!<br />What’s wrong? Well, so far,<br />#1 I should be able to set default to my own photostream.<br />#2 Full screen imagery alternative was already there with Flickriver – if it aint broke, why fix it?<br />#3 Switching on an image to full screen results in the dance of the dots, and nothing else – or my patience ran out before the result appeared.<br />Flickr's owners need to get a grip urgently and start paying attention to their customer feedback. So far it appears to be overwhelmingly negative. That is not because people don’t like change, which is the usual excuse trotted out by writers of crappy software, but because it is crappy in its present state.<br>

That there should already be 284 pages of adverse comment in less than a week on their own Forum asking for feedback, without a squeak out of flickr, speaks for itself…<a href="http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633547442506/">http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633547442506/</a><br>

I have already used Bulkr (<a href="http://clipyourphotos.com/bulkr">http://clipyourphotos.com/bulkr</a>) to download all my flickr images to my p.c. with all their EXIF data integrated into the imagery, in anticipation of looking for a new home if Miss Marissa Mayer of Yahoo/Flickr doesn’t get to grips with sorting this shambles.<br>

It seems her game plan is to open it up to the teenybopper generation posting their duckface snaps from their iphones to Flickr - lots of luck with boosting ad revenues with that strategy! In the meantime there are thousands of disgruntled photographers seeking new homes for their collections, with a number heading for Ipernity. <br>

Thank goodness Photo.net does not put us through this nonsense...</p>

<p>The new site is fantastic. I can get a much better understanding of my Contacts recent additions and the Explore pages because the images are larger and scroll quickly and easily. I like that the default view of my images is much larger, so that the detail that I work hard to achieve is readily apparent.</p>

<p>One of my images hit the Explore page this weekend and my views, despite being several pages deep in the Explore, are several times as high as with the past system.</p>

<p>After all the whiners leave I suspect that three times as many will join to take advantage of the 1TB offer and the much improved format.</p>

<p>"After all the whiners leave I suspect that three times as many will join to take advantage of the 1TB offer and the much improved format."<br>

You may well be correct on that one. As a paying member I feel plainly insulted by them changing the looks without even asking (or letting me have the old looks as an option). Perhaps the 1 TB will attract some people, perhaps even the masses, but for me the old limit (whatever that was?) was plenty. I quite enjoyed the white space separating the images and the minimal and non-intrusive design. <br>

I am firmly among the nay-sayers on this new look. It is the old looks that made me land on flickr in the first place. A wall of photos, a bottom of page that is never reached and cropped images on sets? What were they thinking? Not to mention the pages are very slow to load here. Perhaps an issue with my ADSL, but it used to just work...<br>

Give me back the option of the old looks at least!</p>

<p>Well, I does take some getting used to. If you want to see all sizes, make changes to your image, get it into sets you have to click on the dialogue bubble. Easier with old computers. This is whole thing was well meant. An attempt to get several million users a semblance of a personal website. </p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Flickr also redesigned the Groups, or "Communities" as they're called now just a month or two ago. From my own observations, I'd say a majority of Flickr members and group administrators are quite unhappy with the entire redesign and lack of a "classic view" option. I think even eBay offers several views and layouts after their redesign. I can't call Flickr's redesign an "updated" "modern" website because it takes much more clicking, and waiting, to cruise around.<br>

I've been using flickr for years and loved the old, simple layout. It was so much easier to navigate and surf through everything quicker. The new design is just way to cluttered and overwhelming....too much, too big, in your face and much slooooooower. I think the longer Flickr/Yahoo management refuses to offer optional views, more users will find it too laborious to really have fun with and slowly trickle out. I'm not spending as much time there looking at photos as I used too either.<br>

Flickr used to be fun to use, used to be about showcasing photos not about having a fancy slick interface.</p>

<p>Tom DeRentis. When a service supplier ignores the wishes of the huge number of its customers who supply negative feedback to it, you are left with the choice to put up and shut up, or walk. I walked - to Ipernity as my Flickr substitute.<br>

You will find it is remarkably similar to the old Flickr before Marissa Mayer's troops decided they knew best what the customers wanted.<br>

Incidentally I see that Panoramio is now fooling about with their layout as well, and not for the better.</p>