Confused about the future of DSLRs and "Mirrorless" cameras

<blockquote>

<p>In the time that I could have fired off 8 shots with a Canon 7D the Canon M might still be hunting for focus.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If the Canon EOS M could match spec for spec a camera that costs over four times the price wouldn't you feel something was wrong?</p>

The optical view finder on my 7D is superior to the 350 dollar Electronic VF on my NEX 5N. There is a slight lag shooting motion with the EVF and it is not as clear and is subject more glare than the 100 per OVF on the 7D. There may be better EVFs out there. I think the Sony DSLR with its fixed pellicle mirror would be a great camera for you.

<blockquote>

<p>Jeff, any Canon DSLR would outfire their M model.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Regardless of what you compare it to the M is an AF dud. Which is why it was so curious that you compared it to a camera that costs over four times the price.</p>

<p>The M is not representative of mirrorless cameras in general.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Here are some uses where either will do equally well (assuming equivalent sensor):</p>

<ul>

<li>Street shooting</li>

<li>Landscape</li>

<li>Casual portrait</li>

<li>Family activities</li>

</ul>

</blockquote>

<p>For some people. For me, I use off camera flash for family activties and casual portrait to achieve desired results. Current mirrorless cameras, that otherwise appeal to me, don't have that capability. Also, fast lenses on the DSLR maximize what I try to do in low light and other scenarios along with fast focusing which also counts for street type shooting. Even with landscape, a viewfinder with large aperture lenses is useful for night shots and other things.<br>

<br /><br />So I wouldn't say the list above is wrong but its a bit overgeneralized considering that some people have different needs and that is probably a problem with these articles where one size fits all solutions are being described. Hence the suggestion to choose based on needs over trends ect. I'll keep an eye on mirroless systems and get one whenever it might fit what I want to do more.</p>

<p>It's pretty difficult to generalize about "mirrorless cameras (or dslrs) because there is a pretty significant range of cameras of bot sorts out there. Some of the mirror-less have interchangeable lenses, some don't, sensor sizes range from the so-called 1" on some Sony's and Nikons, through m4/3 and even aps-c models, There are strong rumors of ff mirrorless cvameras "soon." </p>

<p>I suppose if one had to generalize, mirrorless cameras are generally smaller and lighter (although when adapted to existing lenses, some can handle pretty much any available lens). The trade off for size and weight is some of the larger and more expensive dslrs handle some of the big lens tasks better like tracking dynamic subjects - and with ff sensors, have even better low light performance. </p>

<p>It really does come down to your needs and feelings. There are (perhaps) some folks who consider carrying a D800 as a compromise for backpacking compared to large sheet film cameras. OTOH, the Sony RX100 is becoming a very popular travel camera for those who have decided they just aren't interested in schlepping "big" dslr kits around and especially find the size/weight advantages important when it comes to packing and luggage restrictions on trips.</p>

<p>Will "mirror-less cameras take some market share from dslrs? Sure. will one completely supplant the other. Unlikely. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Will "mirror-less cameras take some market share from dslrs? Sure. will one completely supplant the other. Unlikely.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Very well said. Thanks to everyone who joined in on this conversation I have a much better understanding now and personally I think the DSLRs are going to be the system I buy into based on what I need. I am now confident that I am not going to be buying into outdated technology. </p>

You won't go wrong with a

DSLR. They aren't going away

in the foreseeable future.

But getting a mirrorless

system isn't a mistake

either. They both can be

great tools. Look at the

features and get something

that will allow you to do the

kind of photography that you

want to do. It's all good.

Cheers, Mark

<p>The mirrorless market is a growing segment in the camera industry but the DSLR at this time is not being threatened. I do have an Olympus OM-D and I like the camera. I moved out of the DSLR Nikon system myself but like many I was looking for a lighter system to carry around. The camera has it's good points but a DSLR still has the large sensors, lens availability and other features.. <br>

I guess you just have to decide what is right for you. The mirrorless system is great and a good choice for an amateur, hobbyist, family and vacation photogapher or a pro as an adjunt to their current system. The DSLR with it's bulk and weight has everything available for them and they have the larger sensors which has it's advantages.<br>

Bottom line for me is I am mirrorless for the future, lightweight and satisfied with it all. As far as the future of photography being mirrorless I would have to say I do not know what is in store for the future. </p>

<p>Buy what appeals to you. Either format will do what you want. People spend WAY too much time obsessing about their camera purchases. You sound too new to photography to be worrying about the more esoteric features.<br>

<br />If you like the camera, and if the controls make sense to you, and if it fits your hand and your eye and your wallet, and it is made by the top 5 or 6 manufacturers. It will be just fine for your purposes. I've been involved in photography for 50 years or so, since I was 13, and modern consumer cameras are just fine for 99% of anything a pretty serious photographer would want to do. <br>

<br />The best thing you can do to pursue photography is start taking pictures.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> should I still be considering DSLRs at all, and are "mirrorless" cameras really the future of photography?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I already have many cameras, do not really need any more. I am kind of poor and I can not predict the future of photography or cameras, but<br>

- If I knew DSLRs would be discontinued soon, I would try to save my money, wait till the price got down significantly and buy one in the high rank<br>

- I do not like the MLIC at all, but if I knew they would be discontinued, I would buy one too</p>

<p>Glen, either format will NOT do what you want, if that includes wildlife and much of sports photography. I think that mirrorless will get there one day, when they match the lightning fast AF of the best sports and wildlife DSLRs. Today, they've got a ways to go. I look forward to the day when I mount a little box to the back of my 500mm f/4 lens and take bird in flight shots at 30-fps and the little box sends the Raw files to a little 120GB processor hanging on my belt, or clipped to my shirt pocket.</p>

<p>It's funny to observe that most mirrorless cameras still look like film cameras, probably because that's what we, the buyers, are used to. Soon, hopefully, a Steve Jobs of the camera world will free the form-factor and give us superior functionality, with a form factor and tool that best suits each job.</p>