DR Summicron on Leica M8

<p>Hi all, I just wanted to share some kitchen work with my "forbidden" DR on a Leica digital camera.<br>

That is, it only works in close focus, my sample binds with body internals at 4ft.<br>

If you want to try this at your own risk, make shure the lens is <strong>set to close focus</strong> mode<strong> before mounting!<br /></strong><br>

<strong> </strong></p><div>00c5ty-543193884.jpg.d9cc7a91ac851eb3e4e090a2a099e7f7.jpg</div>

<p>Very nice colour rendition in the first image and the bo'ke looks fairly smooth wide open. Good potential I think for close ups, and possibly also to attempt abstract imagery at close distances (probably also easier to use than a Visoflex-lens head option with other lenses). </p>

<p>A skilled (photographer) machinist can 'shave' the DR Summicron 'tab' so the lens becomes an 'exquisite' Summicron 50/2 which can be used on the digital M9. Of course, the lens is no longer useful for 'macro' but I prefer Nikon for macro anyway.</p>

<p>A skilled (photographer) machinist can 'shave' the DR Summicron 'tab' so the lens becomes an 'exquisite' Summicron 50/2 which can be used on the digital M9. Of course, the lens is no longer useful for 'macro' but I prefer Nikon for macro anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"machinist can 'shave' the DR Summicron 'tab'" <em><strong>Josiah C.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Please, don't ever consider performing that kind of butchery.<br /> <br />You don't have to, but for a more simple function, it's better to carefully remove the helical internal locking mechanism and use it on a cheap <strong>EVF</strong> design, focus peaking mirrorless digital camera like a Sony NEX etc. (<strong>No issues</strong> what-so-ever, and it's reversible !) <br /> For with the "butchery" option, you've altered forever the collectibility of this fine lens.<br /> <br /> Don't forget, they're not making any more of these<strong> legendary</strong> DR Summicrons...</p><div>00c5wq-543198084.JPG.b05d765d05c70a2f316bb957272bc85b.JPG</div>

<p>Hmm, I've to admit that I was always hesitating using the DR in CFR, with film. Don't know, it seemed just too awkward, owning also a V4 0.7m Cron.<br>

With digital, I'm much more in for trial & error, and it looks like this lens didn't deserve my reservations.<br>

I just use it as a speciality lens for what it can do distinctively good.<br>

Now, as Gus says, "butchering" it down to infinity ability is loosing the whole point of using this lens.<br>

This lens shines at close focus, if you want to do landscapes at f8, it would not be the most adequate lens to use, IMHO.<br>

Thanks for your interest all, and comments,<br>

and let us see your forbidden glimpses, too!</p>

<div>00c5yU-543200884.jpg.e356268f16f4e704b2e97ad59ef17692.jpg</div>

<p>If you went for a SOMKY (=SOOKY M) which is essentially the same optical unit, you could use a collapsible 50 Summicron or the non collapsible Summicron lens head + adaptor and and also use the same lens for regular work.<br>

I am always a bit surprised that these strange accessories focus accurately. At least with the DR, the optical unit is twinned with the lens.</p>

<p>Were the optical units used in the DR Summicron 50/2 'cherry-picked' for the very best? I have never found any substantiation for this rumor but my DR Summicrons are notably sharp.<br>

I have used the Nooky-hesum, Sooky and Somky adapters. They are delightful as Leica RF macro-adapters but the stand-alone DR Summicron is the sharpest of the readily available 50s when used as a 50.<br>

(The Elcan 66/2 is in a different world...)<br>

This is my opinion.<br>

Collectibility is one thing; photography is different.</p>

<p>What I understand: The DRs have all the same focal length of 51,9mm. Optical cells which were off the design target of 51,9mm went to the rigid model, where they had different helicoids to accomodate different FLs to focus properly. This was/is the method used also for many other lenses, where you can find a little perpendicular number engraved on the barrel close to the infinity engraving, like on the Elmarit 90mm V1. "00" means it is actual 90mm, whereas "19" means it's a 91,9mm; and the helcoid is specially finetuned to it. For the more complicated design of the DR they just did not bother to produce it for slightly different FLs.<br /> So, DRs were cherry-picked probably only FL-wise, but not quality-wise. Summicrons just are that good.</p>

<p>Right, James. One gets used to the spleens of a good ol' pale.<br /> The Summicrons I own(ed) are not best in handling strong incident light. <br /> Open shadow light is very beautiful in itself, and here this lens really shines.<br>

I love the rendering of many of my classic lenses, but I did learn the lessons of what they can cope with...<br /> Can't say anything about the new asph, and, I have no urge to try it ...</p>