Wide Lens

Two23

<p>I've been having a ton of fun shooting my Leica IIIc since having it restored (CLA and I replaced crumbling Vulcanite with Camera Leather's fine black kid skin.) I used it interchangeably with my Nikon D7100 on my trip to Hawaii the past two weeks--it took superb photos! I have Leica Elmar lenses 35/50/90mm. I kept wishing I had something wider though. I would love to have a 28mm and have looked at my options. I'm being pulled in two directions. My camera is vintage 1942 and two lenses are vintage 1940s (50mm is pre-1932, no serial number.) A part of me really wants to keep this as a 1940s kit. That's more important to me than ultimate image quality as I like what I get from vintage lenses. SO, that leads me to buying a Leica 28mm f6.3 (I think.) Another part of me, the Practical Midwesterner, is really eyeing LTM alternatives such as a Nikon 28mm or maybe even a CV 28mm or 25mm. I'm ruling out the really cheap Soviet lenses such as the Orion.<br>

I'm trying to keep the price under $600 (plus a finder.) I've also considered selling the Elmar 35mm to fund a wider lens. Having a 28/50/90mm combo would work just fine for me too (or 25/50/90mm.). I do love that 35mm though! I have a hood for the 35mm, a FISON for the 90mm, and A6 filters orange & yellow. I'm hoping to buy a lens that can use the A6 accessories, but maybe that's not practical. My goal is to have a nice, compact, flexible little Leica kit that fits in a small LowePro Slimline bag. I use this camera quite a bit, mostly shooting FP4 or HP5. I usually buy used gear. SO, what are some thoughts? How good are the CV lenses?</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Kent,</p>

<p>Canon has a nice, highly-rated 25mm/F2.8 in LTM. Price is typically a little more than $600, but not by much although you'd have to pick up a finder as well. It's not 1940s-era -- 1960s more likely -- but still looks appropriate on your IIIc.</p>

<p>I have a 25mm M-mount lens from Zeiss and I love that focal length. I bet you would too.</p>

<p>Carl (in nearby Minnesota)</p>

<p>Canon 25mm f 3,5 (Dezember 1956) in screwmount<br /> "A super wide angle lens with a diagonal angle of view 82°, developed based on Topogon (manufactured by Carl Zeiss, Germany. Angle of view: 100°. f/6.3). This lens has a unique optical system: a spherical lens element with a very high refraction index is used as the first lens element and a special optical glass lens element with the infinite radius of curvature is used as the rearmost lens element. This lens was the fastest lens in the world as a 25mm lens at the time." (Canon Camera Museum)<br /> I use the lens for about two years with very good results - and the classic look of the fifties. Optimal with the viewfinder from Voigtländer.</p>

<p>When I was thinking of "upgrading" my IIIa, I realized that it wouldn't be an every-day camera, and thought something special and especially compact would be an interesting fit. Thus, the Voigtlander 15mm. It's a lot of fun, and since it's scale-focus, you don't have to use the squinty IIIx finder at all. It's turned out to be a great match for the camera.</p>

<p>Thanks for the correction, Ronald, and the additional historical information. The Canon lens is an F3.5 lens and one of only two more lenses I really (REALLY!) want to get in LTM. As I mentioned, I own the Zeiss 25mm in M-mount and I've shot the majority of outdoor vacation photos with it. </p><div>00brFe-541563884.jpg.fdb50256a7b67014285665e832aac70e.jpg</div>

<p>Kent - Although I'm not a really wide fan, I did use the VC 15 on both older LTM and M bodies for a couple of years. It's compact and delivers good IQ. But in the end it was just too wide for my normal usage needs. A former PN member (Al Kaplan) got me interested in it. It's modern in looks and rendition, but if you have this itch, this is one way to scratch it.</p>

<p>Hmm. I've been thinking about it a bit more. For me, the "vintage" part is slightly more important than the performance. I'm taking a closer look at that Canon lens along with the Nikon. I might rule out the more "correct" Leica 28mm f6.3, mainly because I'm afraid it's just too slow for me. I'm beginning to think that since I've been using the IIIc a lot and it's a really good fit for me, it's likely I'll be using it for years. So, that makes it a little easier to justify spending some money here. Maybe what I really want is a Leica 28mm f5.6? I could sell the 35mm Elmar for somewhere around $300, my spare IIIf for around $250, and maybe some other things as well. That would easily put a Leica 28mm f5.6 in reach. Still out of reach would be a lens hood though, and I use those a lot. The 15mm did catch my attention as I like ultrawide, and it would be a thought if I kept the 35mm Elmar too. There's no denying that ultrawide creates a lot of drama! How is the vignetting on the 15mm?</p>

<p>I have a ton of camera gear and have been trying to slim it down. Where I once liked to have and use a lot of things from different ages, my philosphy now is to have fewer but nicer stuff, and have it be stuff I will use regularly. Maybe I don't need 14 box cameras and 3 copies of the Voigtlander Bessa. A Leica 28mm f5.6 would get a lot more use.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>The 28 Summaron is a great lens - my former employer gave me one to play with - but prices are high<br>

<a href="http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_en/leica/leica-screw-mount-lenses/summaron-5-6-28mm.html">http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_en/leica/leica-screw-mount-lenses/summaron-5-6-28mm.html</a><br>

based on rarity. If you REALLY don't like the Orion, I'd go for a Canon.</p><div>00brH5-541565984.thumb.jpg.3440ba5c9b7b38bcbf1e572708952049.jpg</div>

<p>My experience with Soviet-made lenses has been very positive, and I'd certainly recommend that you try one until you get the considerably more expensive lens of your dreams.<br>

There's earlier discussion of this path at http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/007OU2</p>

<p>There are lots of alternatives here, for example, the Jupiter-8 35mm lens based on the Zeiss Biogon (I've only got the Contax mount one, but it's a nice shooter).</p>

Kent

I enjoy vintage also,and I occasionally

use my 1941 50mm Elmar and 1938

90mm Elmar with great results on my IIIF but

when it comes to 28mm it is hard to

justify anything other than the CV 28

for compactness and image quality. I

know from experience with my Nikon

rangefinders that the 28mm Nikkor is a

great lens also but any sale I have see

for the LTM version the price was

prohibitive.

Kent

I enjoy vintage also,and I occasionally

use my 1941 50mm Elmar and 1938

90mm Elmar with great results on my IIIF but

when it comes to 28mm it is hard to

justify anything other than the CV 28

for compactness and image quality. I

know from experience with my Nikon

rangefinders that the 28mm Nikkor is a

great lens also but any sale I have see

for the LTM version the price was

prohibitive.

<p>I got what I considered a quite good deal on a 28/6.3 Hektor in 2008, and it was $410.89 delivered. Took much patience, and prices are a lot higher today due to the success of the M8 and M9.<br>

The hood was $225 on eBay in 2011. (Getting scared yet?) That was also another <em>unusually low</em> price.<br>

The SUOOQ finder was $210 on RFF.<br>

Bakelite case for $44.<br>

(Meanwhile, the Canon 28/3.5 is such a better lens in so many ways.)</p>

<p>OK, I'm thinking of either a Canon or CV lens. The Canon is closer to the period, but it's hard to overlook the value of a CV! Not sure that I could use a filter with it though. Now, on to finders. I have a VIOOH and wonder if a TUVOO attachment would work for me? I don't see any threads inside the barrel of my VIOOH though. </p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>What's wrong with a CV 25/4 "Snapshot Skopar"? You aren' going to pay any where near $600, that's for sure, and you will get high quality photos. The one thing I must say about CV on the Barnack cameras (I have the IIIf) is that the Voigtlander viewfinder blocks view of the Shutter speed dial--hard to remember what your setting is. </p>

<p>TUVOO is in same crazy stratospheric pricing as the SUOOQ. Hundreds of dollars. But if you get one, you can afford another VIOOH with threads...<br>

I love the Cosina 28/35 mini-finder as a user, but they are discontinued, and selling for pretty crazy prices now.</p>

<p>The CV 25mm would work, but remember I'm not really after a "modern" look with my shots. That is what's attracting me to either a Leica or Canon 28mm. Too bad my VIOOH doesn't have threads. The screw in TUVOO can be had for around $100.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I ended up with a Canon 28mm f3.5 with finder and case. It's vintage 1951. I like that it pretty much copies the Leica's look. I think I overpaid at $575 though, but maybe not by a lot. It looks to be in great condition; I just didn't need the case. Maybe I should have let it go and waited for something a bit less $$, but then again I guess $575 isn't out of line for a 28mm LTM with finder & case. The true irony here is I actually beat the last second sniper by only 75 cents, LOL!!!!</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>