Are Earth space photos public domain?

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

<br />I have a photo-manipulation project idea that involves replacing a ball in a child's arms by an photo of the Earth. I was wondering if space photos circulating on the web were public domain?<br>

I plan on exhibiting the final work in fine art galleries and eventually possibly selling prints and cards.<br>

Thanks in advance for any information you might have.</p>

<p>As Rob's response points out, NASA images, and for that matter all images by US Government agencies, are considered in the public domain unless they are otherwise restricted by security classification, etc. However, there are also private companies providing such images that would undoubtedly take exception to any other use since they are in the business of selling their images.</p>

<p>Thanks Rob, I read through your linked page and found this :</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>NASA material is not protected by copyright unless noted. If copyrighted, permission should be obtained from the copyright owner prior to use. If not copyrighted, NASA material may be reproduced and distributed without further permission from NASA.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>But how can I tell if an image found on the web, doing a Google image search, is from NASA or licenced by a private company?</p>

<p>[[but how can I tell if an image found on the web, doing a Google image search, is from NASA or licenced by a private company?]]</p>

<p>I would recommend avoiding such pitfalls by searching through NASA's archives exclusively. </p>

<p>Yes, I suppose that is the best way to go. At first glance, I'm just a tad dissapointed by the images I am finding there. But maybe it's just a question of taking the time to dig deeper in the site... Thank for the info guys!</p>